Constant repairs - 2017 Yukon XL SLT 4WD 5.3 Flex

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoadWarrior

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is anyone else having frequent mechanical and electric repair issues with their 2017 Yukon XL SLT 4WD 5.3 L flex engine? Between 123,000 and 130,000 miles, I have had to complete the following repairs and maintenance:

And I’m still not done with needed repairs and maintenance.

1. AC quit.

2. Both sway bar links broke.

3. I had to replace both front hub assemblies.

4. One of the front brake calipers broke off while I was on the interstate and I was fortunate to be able to coast to a stop.
- A shout out to O’Reillys in Plainview, Texas for being the only part store around with the caliper in stock.

5. My rear brake rotors and brake pads must be replaced according to three mechanics.
I’m going to be installing Powerstop Z36 rotors and carbon ceramic pads since I have the heavy duty towing package and I plan on buying an RV trailer next year. If any of you have thoughts on this, I’m open to hearing your suggestions.

6. Last week, my power steering went out.

7. I changed my transmission fluid and filter. Regular, but not cheap, maintenance.

8. I need to change the transfer case fluid.

9. I need a tuneup as the previous owner did not do one at the recommended mileage.
I’m using fuel system cleaner to prolong that maintenance until I can get all these other items completed.

10. I had to replace my alternator.
I replaced it with a custom 240 amp alternator since I have a 60 amp battery charger for my two deep cycle LFP house batteries.

I’m still waiting for the power steering to be repaired as my car sits in a small town truck stop 240 miles away from where I am now getting ready for my next run. I’m very fortunate that I had another car nearby I could use.

At this time, I honestly have no confidence in this vehicle. Six weeks of constant repairs and you expect me to believe that I can go another week or two, even a month without something else breaking down?

Attachments

• IMG_0868.jpeg
    IMG_0868.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 4

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else having frequent mechanical and electric repair issues with their 2017 Yukon XL SLT 4WD 5.3 L flex engine? Between 123,000 and 130,000 miles, I have had to complete the following repairs and maintenance:

1. AC quit.

4. One of the front brake calipers broke off while I was on the interstate and I was fortunate to be able to coast to a stop.
- A shout out to O’Reillys in Plainview, Texas for being the only part store around with the caliper in stock.

5. My rear brake rotors and brake pads must be replaced according to three mechanics.
I’m going to be installing Powerstop Z36 rotors and carbon ceramic pads since I have the heavy duty towing package and I plan on buying an RV trailer next year. If any of you have thoughts on this, I’m open to hearing your suggestions.

7. I changed my transmission fluid and filter. Regular, but not cheap, maintenance.

9. I need a tuneup as the previous owner did not do one at the recommended mileage.
I’m using fuel system cleaner to prolong that maintenance until I can get all these other items completed.

I replaced it with a custom 240 amp alternator since I have a 60 amp battery charger for my two deep cycle LFP house batteries.

I’m still waiting for the power steering to be repaired as my car sits in a small town truck stop 240 miles away from where I am now getting ready for my next run. I’m very fortunate that I had another car nearby I could use.

At this time, I honestly have no confidence in this vehicle. Six weeks of constant repairs and you expect me to believe that I can go another week or two, even a month without something else breaking down?
1. Common Repair
2. Normal Maintenance.
3. Normal Maintenance.
4. Not Normal - Probably not torqued to spec when last replaced.
5. Normal Maintenance. While most of us think highly of powerstop brakes, even me, I consider them a downgrade to GM OE brakes.
6. Not Normal.
7-9. Normal Maintenance.
10. Not Normal at this mileage.

Your transmission is next. After spending another $6-7K she'll be good to go for another 100K.

@PG01

What do you think Pete?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Common Repair
2. Normal Maintenance.
3. Normal Maintenance.
4. Not Normal - Probably not torqued to spec when last replaced.
5. Normal Maintenance. While most of us think highly of powerstop brakes, even me, I consider them a downgrade to GM OE brakes.
6. Not Normal.
7-9. Normal Maintenance.
10. Not Normal at this mileage.

Your transmission is next. After spending another $6-7K she'll be good to go for another 100K.

@PG01

What do you think Pete?
I agree with james on everything, however, I believe there was a problem with the power steering for a frw years because a a seal to a vacuum assist/pump/canister fails and allows oil or power steering fluid past and the original alternator prob died trying to keep the 2 batteries charged up depending on how it’s wired and/or the batteries were the same age, type, voltage,etc…but yeah op is at a mileage that ‘stuff happens’ especially if po didn’t maintain anything consistently and/or correctly…

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1. AC quit.

Most of this is common maintenance, you do not have power steering you have electric steering so check the wire harness/ground
ac failing is "possibly" a defect, this is well documented all over.
hubs failed early, brakes are a wear item mine barely last 1 1/2 years, just depends on how you drive
a caliper should never just "break off" there is a secondary reason why that happened
not really quite sure what a 60amp charger has to do with your alternator but you shouldn't be using it to charge external batteries...... maybe if you had a good sized inverter installed properly
and what makes "changing the transmission fluid" a constant repair?
sounds like you are just talking yourself out of a vehicle....... they require maintanence ANY make or model. you buy something else it will need maintenance too, plus slap on a monthly payment.

OP
OP
RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your replies and comments. Y’all actually put my mind at ease. Plus the mechanic that fixed my so-called power steering, which I quickly learned is electric, even told me these are good cars and agreed that most of this - like you all said - is maintenance and things that will need fixing at some point in time. I do drive about 6k - 7k miles a month so things happen more frequently than what most people experience with car ownership. However, I’m about to retire, so I won’t be putting these miles on it much longer.

RobH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear your pain. My transmission went bad at 121K miles a thousand miles from home last year. I skipped part of the trip and was able to get home by babying the transmission. Then bought a GM reman transmission to get the three year/100,000 mile warranty good at any GM dealership in the country.

If you have a six speed transmission, get the Service Bulletin 21-NA-199 transmission 70C Thermal Bypass Valve installed when you do the engine mount.

Getting your Automatic Fuel Management (AFM) shut off may delay, perhaps indefinitely, an AFM lifter failure taking out the camshaft and the engine.

Modifying the transmission behavior will hopefully delay, perhaps indefinitely, a transmission failure caused by Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) failure. An alternative is to proactively replace the Torque Converter and do the modify transmission behavior. The 70C thermal bypass valve and torque converter could be done at the dealer or a reputable independent shop, if you can find one.

You or a professional "tuner" can do the AFM disable and transmission behavior modifications.

It will help to put your location and Yukon particulars in your profile and signature.

I spent twenty years in commercial aviation management and got exposed to a lot of used airplanes acquired for much less than original purchase price. My experience with older airplanes and also vehicles is that maintenance cost is proportional to the original purchase price and not the used price.

See my post #11 today at https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/hp-tuner-for-2016-tahoe-l83-6l80.148349/page-2

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
02YUKaczON100k24