4wd lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDNTAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys was wondering are all the lights on the cluster for the auto, 2hi , 4hi and 4lo suppose to light up before you start the vehicle. Reason for the question is after I cleaned the grounds the 2 hi and neutral light comes on but not the others.I can here the encoder activating but there is no blinking of the 4 hi light or illumination . So I am confused is it in 4 hi or not just really confused what the cause is or what direction to repair it.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In my experience the mode light indicators do come on for a second or so when the key is initially switched to the run position (similar to the other cluster indicator lights). There is an LED for each mode of the switch. There is also other backlighting (incandescent from the factory) when the headlights are on.

Generally, the mode lights don't blink, and only one is on at a time.

A Tech 2 scanner can determine what mode is commanded and what the switch should be indicating.

OP
OP
CDNTAHOE

CDNTAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the tech 2 something a person can buy. I am tying to figure out if my 4 wheel drive system is working or is it the lights or switch or encoder. Thanks Fless

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I had some luck on mine popping the thing apart then running a soldering iron over where the pins secure to the board. Basically re flow them. Not sure if it'll solve your issue, but I'd file that one under the first pass "check connections" category. Check pin tension too. There are also some grounds for the thing just under your driver's door on an outboard flange on the frame. Remove, clean, grease, reinstall

OP
OP
CDNTAHOE

CDNTAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did clean the connections and frame and seems to be ok .All lights come on at start up then settles on the 2 hi. Would spraying some rubber coating to help keep water out cause that is what I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts