4l60e wont shift out of 2nd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishin757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went off road the other day and now my trans wont shift out of second gear. after reading online about this i have come across a few different causes. 1) clutch pack is burnt up and i need a re build,. i dont think i would have that because i have 3rd gear, i just have to manually put it there. 2) bad fuse or 12v wire going to trans. i still have to clean off some mud to look for the wire and i cant fine a trans fuse in the fuse block. 3) shift solenoid. seems like the most likely culprit, since it wont shift past 2k rpm and 30 mph unless i take it out of drive and pop it to 3rd. what do you guys think?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Check connector at the tranny for damage. That includes vehicle speed sensors. The tranny fuse is on the in cab fuse block. It is called "trans" numbered #20 and has pink wires that power the granny and the speedo/taco gauges and uses a 10 amp fuse.

OP
OP
Fishin757

Fishin757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok will do. i didnt think the trans fuse would be in the cab but ill look at thaat and the wires tomorrow and report back

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Its in limp mode..my silvi had it..check trans wkring and plugs. The plug tends to go bad or dirty. If not tbe. check the trans fuse. My porblem was screwed wiring on the steering column and a junkyard column fixed it

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Yea trans fuse is inside the cab on the bottom

OP
OP
Fishin757

Fishin757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anything in particular I should use to clean the connectors?

OP
OP
Fishin757

Fishin757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must have gotten an early Christmas miracle because after i finishes washing the truck everything worked fine. shifts and everything. 1-2 is a little slappy and when i punch it it looks like a diesel (with grey smoke) but other than that its good

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I would still clean the plugs that are under because they corrode and will do it again

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
actually i never really mention it but if these are factory intact connectors with intact seal with no physical damage those suckers can fend off some serious environments. once the wire enters a connector it is sealed of from the rest of the wire. it does a good job of it to that it resists chemical attacks as well. even the terminal shell has a 3 lip seal surrounding them.

OP
OP
Fishin757

Fishin757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be cleaning them for sure. They are the factory connectors but I'm wondering if one got pulled out a little. This thing was in water and mud over the door sills. I pulled about 10 pounds of mud and clay from behind the skid plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbrown415