4l60E irreparable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Echo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently swapped out my transmission for a JEGs Performance 4L60E. I was hoping to rebuild the old one to gain some knowledge on these things.

However, after taking off the pan and seeing this right by the filter intake, I'm wondering if its beyond repair, as that looks like part of the case. What's the verdict here? Spare parts or fixable?

EDIT: I keep trying to post this in 2000-2006 and it keeps bringing me here for some reason -_-
Blown Transmission.jpg

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like You need a new case or perhaps pump body That pic is fuzzy and zoomed in too close.

Take the valve body, spacer plate etc for a better view and shoot a better pic of that area. Or just take it all apart and shoot a pic of that area with it empty.

ETA: looks like the band and rev drum are visible which is normal when looking through that window in the case. Not able to determine if you need a case or not from that pic. But if you do, is no big deal, they aren't expensive.

Post a pic of the piece of aluminum you found in the pan as well.

See my pics below for reference

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The window should be there but there looks to be chunks of aluminum that have been broken off in the area. Id look into the cause of that. Case is likely fine assuming no cracks formed off the aluminum breaks. If the area looks good then just smooth out the broken edges nice and clean and of course dont even think about reusing the case until its been thoroughly washed.

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The window should be there but there looks to be chunks of aluminum that have been broken off in the area. Id look into the cause of that. Case is likely fine assuming no cracks formed off the aluminum breaks. If the area looks good then just smooth out the broken edges nice and clean and of course dont even think about reusing the case until its been thoroughly washed.
There was a LOT of aluminum in the pan, small chunks and plenty of dust.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a LOT of aluminum in the pan, small chunks and plenty of dust.
Much of it could have come from (and/or) the pump, converter or something else aluminum...wouldn't be surprised to see the pump working surfaces completely mangled...when are you going to tear it all down (assuming you haven't already done so)? I would be curious as to what exactly caused that to happen...I'm also curious to see if your 3-4 clutch pack is welded to the forward ring gear/hub - I see this every so often as well....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Echo

Echo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Much of it could have come from (and/or) the pump, converter or something else aluminum...wouldn't be surprised to see the pump working surfaces completely mangled...when are you going to tear it all down (assuming you haven't already done so)? I would be curious as to what exactly caused that to happen...something must have been floating around in the case or within the pan to gouge out a small chunk of aluminum. Im also curious to see if your 3-4 clutch pack is welded to the forward ring gear/hub - I see this every so often as well....
I'm planning on doing it next weekend. I have to do the rotors, pads, LCA ball joints/bushings, and wheel bearings on the Tahoe first. I'll take plenty of pictures as I break it down though, I want to document the process as thoroughly as I can. I might have to take the rooster comb/detent lever out of it and put it in my S-10, seeing as it absolutely refuses to shift into park (Unless I do it via the shift lever manually.)

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Much of it could have come from (and/or) the pump, converter or something else aluminum...wouldn't be surprised to see the pump working surfaces completely mangled...when are you going to tear it all down (assuming you haven't already done so)? I would be curious as to what exactly caused that to happen...I'm also curious to see if your 3-4 clutch pack is welded to the forward ring gear/hub - I see this every so often as well....
My bet is the case is mangled up pretty good. And the cause.....Worn out bushings causing all hard parts to come off center and get into the case internal diamter. The case is likely junk and of course a new one is cheap enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660