4 wheel drive not working (Help)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWdiver

Reaction score
OK, I have a 99 Hoe with the auto shift button 4x4 system. last month I had the transfer case rebuilt by a friend that has operated a Tranny shop for years so I have to say he did it right.
here's what I do know. the lights that are on the shift buttons or switches do not stay on, they just flash and the manual says that they will stop flashing and turn solid when it engages. the only one that will do this is the 2 wheel drive switch. the other three just flash.

Here's what is throwing me; you can hear and feel it engage in LO 4x4 and you have that low gear when you move going to the rear wheels but nothing in the front... same for 2 HI.

I switched it both ways HI and Low and got out on the street and did a circle and nothing just as smooth as 2 wheel drive so I know its not locking the front drive line.
BUT I HEAR IT ENGAGE LIKE NORMALY WHAT COULD IT BE? but like I said the lights on the switches wont stop blinking.

thanks for any help you can give me.
Bud.

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

has anyone heard of this or had a simular problem?

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Supposedly the front diff actuator can cause those problems. If it doesn't fully engage, the lights will keep blinking. You may want to do some research on testing it. It's located on the front diff housing.

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 96 2 door tahoe. Same exact thing, it sounds like it engages but it doesnt and the light just blinks. It was also suggested to me that it was the actuator and a guy that had the same problem said he ordered the new actuator and I was waiting for him to post if that fixed the problem or not. If you replace the actuator and that fixes it definitely let me know man

bsamoul

Hoe Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck does the same EXACT thing. Last winter, I replaced the thermal actuator (oem) with an electric one. Basically the actuator pushes in the front diff to engage the front two drive wheels. I hear that move, but my lights just continue to blink, and no 4wheel in 4 hi or lo. When I stick it in 4 Lo, I hear a big metal clunk, but again the front tires don't spin.

I'm pretty sure my front differential is the problem, I just don't know what could be wrong with it, and I can only imagine how much that is to fix.

OP
OP
BWdiver

BWdiver

Reaction score
Great!!! I mean good to hear, I thought maybe the transfercase had another problem.
I called the tranny shop this morning and he said the same thing you guy's are suggesting.
I thought that click or clunk was the actuator doing its job but he said it was the transfercase.

Hotrod, Raptor and Bsamoul I will let you know the outcome of the fix by thursday.

thanks,
Bud.

OP
OP
BWdiver

BWdiver

Reaction score
Well, I found out some stuff today about the front diff actuator;

1. It's usally a dealer only item unless you buy off the internet or junk yard
cost about 215.00 at the stealer. and 80.00 or so on internet just not sure about that.
2. Takes about 30 min to swap. if you have a lift much sooner.

3. So I go to the Hoe today and decided to try again and it engaged, got 4 wheel drive, light is lit solid.
decided to switch it again and nothing.
Later on I go back out and it worked flawlessly couldn't make it not work, GO FIGURE!!!

4. Starting to think that it could be a loose connection in the harness somewhere so before I go plop down the coin on a new one I will do some due diligence and check the wiring.

Thats all for now unless someone could find out the voltage for this thing at the far end connection where I could test it.

Bud.

Last edited:

bsamoul

Hoe Enthusiast
Reaction score
The actuator is right in front of the diff. It's round and screws in. It's really hard to miss, to be honest.

OP
OP
BWdiver

BWdiver

Reaction score
well it looks to be my switch is the culpret. yesterday it started trying to engage the 4x4 while I was driving down the road NOT A GOOD THING!!! so I had to pull the switch and disconnect it untill I get a nother one.
Now I know why people like a manual lever to engage the front wheels.

So you may want to diagnose your switch first, I would say if your actuator has been silent for a while and you don't get other weired problems like mine then it is probably the actuator.

Bud.

niterunnr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
S.E. OKLAHOMA but trying to move back to TEXAS
here is what mine was.. i replaced the switch with no luck...so i bought this and now i have 4x4 again.. research your hoe and eliminate all other parts before you spend the money... just saying this was my problem......http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0235336807&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT ... thats the link ... if it dont work here is the item #... 310235336807 this one is the cheapest i have found and its free shipping

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA