4 wheel drive not working (Help)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BWdiver

BWdiver

Reaction score
here is what mine was.. i replaced the switch with no luck...so i bought this and now i have 4x4 again.. research your hoe and eliminate all other parts before you spend the money... just saying this was my problem......http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0235336807&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT ... thats the link ... if it dont work here is the item #... 310235336807 this one is the cheapest i have found and its free shipping

Thanks niterunnr, Mine is engaging the actuator that you purchased just not when I want it to. with the 4x4 engageing with out my input and the switch light blinking erratically at different times I think the switch is toast.

Bud.

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The actuator is right in front of the diff. It's round and screws in. It's really hard to miss, to be honest.

I thought that was it but I wasnt just glancing around because I was underneith the hoe but was working on the exhaust and did have time to look at the 4x4. I was just making sure that was the right part. Thanks for the confirmation though!

OP
OP
BWdiver

BWdiver

Reaction score
Put the new switch in yesterday morning and all is well with the Hoe. So it wasn't the front diff Actuator.

Chucktown Mako

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '01 had a clank/click going on for a while, finally diagnosed as the T Case. Long story short, put a rebuilt t case in and it won't go into 4 low now. Transmission shop can't figure it out. They can shift it manually into 4 low, but not with the button. When you try it, it shifts about 3 times, then goes into 4 Hi.

Niterunnr: You just replaced the shift actuator and not the entire shift motor? I will run that by the trans shop.

Diller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3. So I go to the Hoe today and decided to try again and it engaged, got 4 wheel drive, light is lit solid.
decided to switch it again and nothing.
Later on I go back out and it worked flawlessly couldn't make it not work, GO FIGURE!!!

Bud.

Take it from a GM parts guy. The front axle actuator is a VERY COMMON problem on these trucks. I've sold HUNDREDS over the years.

Oh, and hello all. This is my first post!!:Handshake:

Diller
Hopefully picking up my '97 this weekend!!!!!

j pop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
bad ground on 4 wheel drive

check the ground wire on body mount under drive side clean them

dntnvme

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. This is my first time owning a 4 wheel drive vehicle. I just purchased a used 2002 Envoy and brought it in to be checked for this problem but they said they couldn't find a problem:duh: but it's still happening vehicletreat.

First of all, vehicle treat the dial is always set at 2 wheel drive. Then while slowing down or leaving a parking spot or going into a parking spot the light changes on its own to 4H drive. Can you imagine how hard it is to turn or how surprised I was when this first happened? Or I'm driving along and slowing down at a light and the 4H light is blinking, like it's trying to engage. The 2 wheel drive only goes to 4H, not to A4 or 4L when this happens. I haven't experienced this while driving at a steady speed. Any ideas out there?

Thank you Lisa(March)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo