4 wd indicator lights bubkiss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDNTAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey sorry if this is not in the right area for questioning but I need help. Noticed last night my 2 hi light on my 4 wd button was not working (ON). So I would turn of my Tahoe and start it again and all lights would light up then nothing I would try pushing the 2 hi button and nothing I would hold it and it would come on but not stay on. Any idea's. I am thinking it is the switch itself.

OP
OP
CDNTAHOE

CDNTAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to check for the ground, I was on youtube and on the Silverado it is under the drivers door can anyone confirm. If it is not the switch then I was thinking the encoder or ground.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Start with cleaning the two ground contacts under the driver's position, just behind the LF wheel well. One of those is critical to the 4x4 operation. I had to use a bolt through one of the holes in mine since the threads were stripped. The 4x4 ground wire should run from there up to just underneath the brake booster area and there may also be a splice connection there to clean. I don't think that one is attached to ground, just a splice.

You didn't give your year or tell what the switch looks like, you can pull the dash switch and some can be measured for correct resistance (each position has its own resistance value). You can also measure the voltage that the ATCM (control module) is providing to the switch.

OP
OP
CDNTAHOE

CDNTAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry Fless, ya it is a 2002 with the 3 button system with auto 4x4. I will check the ground for sure.Will update with findings.

OP
OP
CDNTAHOE

CDNTAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yabba Dabba Doo cleaned the ground wires and she works, the 2wd HI light is on and I tried the others and they worked as well. It was sure nice to hear the encoder on the T-case work. Thanks Fless for the direction for the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts