4-cylinder RPMs same as V8 RPMs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadoow98

Reaction score
Kind of dumm question but I have never actually talk about it to any one as I don't want to look stupid but still wounder.

Is RPMs the same on a 4-cylinder and a V8? From what I think I know as in difference a V8 has more power and torque than a 4-cylinder, also that a V8 won't have trouble increasing fast its speed in expressways as a 4-cylinder will just not want to accelerate at high speeds.

But as in Rpms is it the same?

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are you talking about here? are you talking about the DOD 4/8 cylinder mode on the newer motors? or just 4 and 8 cylinder motors in general?

either way everything you said is just completely wrong. there are 4 cylinder motors that make more hp/tq than some v8's. it all depends on the motor and how its built.

ALSO, the rpms depend on the trasmission/drivetrain gearing. not the engine. the amount of power at what rpm/gear/speed will depend on the motor.

sounds like you really don't have any understanding of motors in general.

Vette66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RPM's are Revolution Per Minute. The is the revolution on the crank it does not matter if it is a single cylinder or if its 100 cylinders the RPM's will be the same.

Believe it or not my 91 Honda Civic with a DOHC B16 turbo'd (7psi) had 60 more HP and 10 less torque than my Yukon and got 32 MPG on the freeway. but a little car and short gears.

OP
OP
S

shadoow98

Reaction score
RPM's are Revolution Per Minute. The is the revolution on the crank it does not matter if it is a single cylinder or if its 100 cylinders the RPM's will be the same.
So this is true for any type of engine 1,2,3,4 RPMs are the same on a sedan, truck, exotic car?

Yea I'm talking about a regular sedan 4-cylinder car engine out in the street and a regular truck with a V8 engine.
(Maybe you guys got confused on the 4-cylinder and V8 part, You can't really say V4 for a sedan can you?? :/

I guess to kind of explain my confused part is if you take a 4-Cylinder engine(V4) lets say a civic and you take a Tahoe 8-Cylinder(V8) but both engines had exactly the same HP and Torque and would to "race" BOTH cars same weight and all would the Rpm gauge mark be the same on both? It would be correct right? Because like Vette66 said RPMs is the revolution on the crank.

Last edited:

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Yea but stoke also plays a huge part. On a Honda a short stroke has high rev while a long trike can't rev as high. I have both types of motors in my Hondas. Short stroke in the del sol and long stroke in the prelude. The stroke also determines the torque

Vette66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rpms from a 4cylinder with the same gear ratio as a 8cylinder will be at the same speed mph wise.

4 cylinders have been V's in the past but the preferred is inline and opposable, like VWs, Porsche, and Subaru.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar