2WD to AWD conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone went from 2WD to AWD? I'm wondering what parts are different and how much weight it would add. I figure I'll need the 6l80 and transfer case, front cross member, drive shaft, front diff, spindles and CVs. Are the control arms different? Any other parts?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have aluminum control arms and engine block to save weight! Two new driveshafts or have your original cut down. Timkin hubs... Don't know what the differences are but the 6L80 has a 2WD and 4WD/AWD version, different part numbers. Make sure the front differential is an AWD and not 4WD, they are different too. Don't forget to check the donor's gear ratio either!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better to sell yours and buy an AWD model

I don't think that is Lance's way Ryan! He buys a truck and it stays in service for as long as possible and the modifications done are a challenge as well as enjoyment. The desire to create something that wasn't and then use/enjoy that creation is something to behold.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have aluminum control arms and engine block to save weight! Two new driveshafts or have your original cut down. Timkin hubs... Don't know what the differences are but the 6L80 has a 2WD and 4WD/AWD version, different part numbers. Make sure the front differential is an AWD and not 4WD, they are different too. Don't forget to check the donor's gear ratio either!

James, the aluminum front LCAs are not unique to the AWD/4WD trucks. I'm not exactly certain of the option for them, if any, but they came stock on our '10 PPV. When looking up new replacements, since we're due for a front end rebuild, I didn't find any differentiation between the aluminum and steel units.

I would expect them to be interchangeable, and I'd certainly test that option if we had steel LCAs. but since we're running the aluminum bits, I'm sticking with what we have.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
James, the aluminum front LCAs are not unique to the AWD/4WD trucks. I'm not exactly certain of the option for them, if any, but they came stock on our '10 PPV. When looking up new replacements, since we're due for a front end rebuild, I didn't find any differentiation between the aluminum and steel units.

I would expect them to be interchangeable, and I'd certainly test that option if we had steel LCAs. but since we're running the aluminum bits, I'm sticking with what we have.

Ok, I just knew that for the Suburbans and Yukon XL and certain Silverados and Sierras that those with 4WD systems were spec'd with aluminum control arms and the LC9 motor to offset the weight gain of the 4WD components. Presumably this was done to maintain weight capacities, towing capacities and balance. At one time Rough Country offered different brackets for their 2" level for steel and aluminum but now offer just one for both. You're right though, save for weight, they are interchangeable. I reckon the PPVs and SSVs got them to save weight regardless of drive system.

OP
OP
LanceD

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they ever make an awd Tahoe with the 5.3?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons