2nd Row Captains Chair headrests - removable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikewils

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all -

We just got a 2011 Denali, and the headrests on the second row buckets are positioned in a way that it pushes my son's car seat forward too far. Does anyone know if the head rests are removable, or at the least is there a way to "unlock" them and move them up a few inches? I can't find anything on this on the search and I'm tired of waiting for the dealer tech to call me back. Any insight is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Z71 Tech

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2nd row Captains chairs

The second row captains chairs headrest will come off. Insert a paperclip in the small hole on the left side of the plastic piece that the metal rod is inserted into at the same time you push the release button on the right side and then just pull the headrest out.

OP
OP
M

mikewils

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The second row captains chairs headrest will come off. Insert a paperclip in the small hole on the left side of the plastic piece that the metal rod is inserted into at the same time you push the release button on the right side and then just pull the headrest out.

Thank you Evan! I am in KS too (Overland Park). This will make things a lot easier and our son won't be able to kick the driver's seat as much.

THOR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is this true on the 2011 Z71(s) as well? Becuase I have the same problem and just tried the paper clip thing. But I dont have a release button on the headrest anywhere. on the other one there is just another little hole. Do I just need to use two paperclips?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Evan! I am in KS too (Overland Park). This will make things a lot easier and our son won't be able to kick the driver's seat as much.

Off topic: Hello :Handshake: I'm on the Missouri side in Lee's Sumimt. Good to run into local folks on here from time to time :High 5:

Anyhoot...back on topic....:hands:

JimZ

Reaction score
If there is a hole on the plastic base then you should be able to do this. I had the dealership do this when I picked up my '11 Denali, they used a more rigid 90* angled tool. There's only 1 notch on the post itself and only on the one post per headrest. The hole on the plastic ring will be on the exact same place for either headrest. Hope this helps.

THOR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry posted too quickly. I was able to get it. Just had to use two paperclips. One for each hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz