Taller Headrests for 2nd row bench?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1xd5

Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope you're doing well.

2006 Yukon XL Denali owner here.

Does anyone know if the headrests from 2nd row captain seats fit the 2nd row bench? I tested the driver captain seat on the 2nd row bench seat in mine but the captains posts are narrower. The bench seats headrests posts measure about 8 1/4" from the "outside" of each post and the front captains are about 7". If anyone has the 2nd row captains would you be willing to measure your posts or try them on your 3rd row (the 2nd row bench and 3rd row posts measure the same).

I'd like taller headrests on the 2nd row, even if they no longer fold over flat without removing the headrests.

Thank You!

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope you're doing well.

2006 Yukon XL Denali owner here.

Does anyone know if the headrests from 2nd row captain seats fit the 2nd row bench? I tested the driver captain seat on the 2nd row bench seat in mine but the captains posts are narrower. The bench seats headrests posts measure about 8 1/4" from the "outside" of each post and the front captions are about 7". If anyone has the 2nd row captains would you be willing to measure your posts or try them on your 3rd row (the 2nd row bench and 3rd row posts measure the same).

I'd like taller headrests on the 2nd row, even if they no longer fold over flat without removing the headrests.

Thank You!
Here's pics from my 2008 captain 2nd row

Attachments

• 20230311_181305.jpg
    20230311_181305.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP

1xd5

Reaction score
Here's pics from my 2008 captain 2nd row
Thank you very much for replying! Unfortunately your 2008 is a newer generation than mine. Your gen began production in 2007 and is sometimes referred to as "GMT900 or NNBS (New New Body Style)." I have the 99-2006 generation aka GMT800 or NBS (New Body Style). So I'm not sure if the posts will be different, maybe, maybe not. Either way, I appreciate you taking the time!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops. Missed that one small indicator. Going out on a limb, I'm going to speculate that they are the same. GM doesn't change the whole package, just the frosting as a general rule (Ford is notorious for this, and to their advantage).

I'm confident that the seat frame, mounting, etc are similar. I've had a 2003, (5) 07-14, and a 2017. The last 2 gens measure the same for what's it's worth. The 2017 isn't adjustable, you have to squeeze the seat coating to find the release to raise it, but here's a pic

Attachments

• 20230311_185830.jpg
    20230311_185830.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP

1xd5

Reaction score
Oops. Missed that one small indicator. Going out on a limb, I'm going to speculate that they are the same. GM doesn't change the whole package, just the frosting as a general rule (Ford is notorious for this, and to their advantage).

I'm confident that the seat frame, mounting, etc are similar. I've had a 2003, (5) 07-14, and a 2017. The last 2 gens measure the same for what's it's worth. The 2017 isn't adjustable, you have to squeeze the seat coating to find the release to raise it, but here's a pic
I agree, the fact that yours measured the same as my captains is making me think they're probably all going to be the same for all captains seats across generations. The only option will probably be to switch out the bench for the captains seats, which I don't want to do at this time, I prefer the extra seating over taller headrests.. Darn...

and I'm not sure if I'm reading that right but, you've had 5 07-14's ??

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, the fact that yours measured the same as my captains is making me think they're probably all going to be the same for all captains seats across generations. The only option will probably be to switch out the bench for the captains seats, which I don't want to do at this time, I prefer the extra seating over taller headrests.. Darn...

and I'm not sure if I'm reading that right but, you've had 5 07-14's ??
Yes. I had a 2007 Denali that I absolutely loved and regret selling. The (2) 2009 denali xl, 1 good, 1 POS. Traded the POS for a 2017 Denali (wife's rig). Then missed my 07 and bought a 2008 Denali as my beater rig. The 08 is nice, but it's old man gold in color, not the lighter champagne color. Didn't know that until I flew to CA to buy it. Thought it was the same as my 2007 by pics. It works good as an off road truck and yard dog. I would like it better if it was anything but gold. Still hasn't done me wrong so I can hate it too much for the color. LOL

Except for piston slap on the earlier ones they are awesome. Totally grinds my gears, but have learned to live with it.

OP
OP

1xd5

Reaction score
Yes. I had a 2007 Denali that I absolutely loved and regret selling. The (2) 2009 denali xl, 1 good, 1 POS. Traded the POS for a 2017 Denali (wife's rig). Then missed my 07 and bought a 2008 Denali as my beater rig. The 08 is nice, but it's old man gold in color, not the lighter champagne color. Didn't know that until I flew to CA to buy it. Thought it was the same as my 2007 by pics. It works good as an off road truck and yard dog. I would like it better if it was anything but gold. Still hasn't done me wrong so I can hate it too much for the color. LOL

Except for piston slap on the earlier ones they are awesome. Totally grinds my gears, but have learned to live with it.
Hey on the plus side Gold is probably the color that looks clean even when it's dirty lol, I have a gold 4runner, and at first I felt the same about it, but in time it grew on me. My Denali is Greystone Metallic, almost looks gold in the sun but grey in the shade, I like it. I think all your Denali's except for the 2017 didn't have AFM right? I went with the one I purchased because I was looking for a rig without AFM, it had 173k miles, higher than I wanted, but it was a 1 owner, I figured if 1 fella had it that long, it must have been solid, plus he kept it really nice and clean, and the price was pretty good, so I went for it. Only thing I don't like is that 4 speed tranny. I was also considering the 07-09's because If I'm not mistaken those don't have AFM either, but the prices were a little high for me, and I like the look of the gmt800 platform a little more than gmt900, I may be selling my 4runner in the future and picking up another full size, and if so I' may consider a gmt900, either that or a 07 Sierra classic , either 1500hd or 2500, not sure yet, Time will tell. I'm loving my rig though, been cleaning it up a bit more since I got it and upgrading a few things here and there.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey on the plus side Gold is probably the color that looks clean even when it's dirty lol, I have a gold 4runner, and at first I felt the same about it, but in time it grew on me. My Denali is Greystone Metallic, almost looks gold in the sun but grey in the shade, I like it. I think all your Denali's except for the 2017 didn't have AFM right? I went with the one I purchased because I was looking for a rig without AFM, it had 173k miles, higher than I wanted, but it was a 1 owner, I figured if 1 fella had it that long, it must have been solid, plus he kept it really nice and clean, and the price was pretty good, so I went for it. Only thing I don't like is that 4 speed tranny. I was also considering the 07-09's because If I'm not mistaken those don't have AFM either, but the prices were a little high for me, and I like the look of the gmt800 platform a little more than gmt900, I may be selling my 4runner in the future and picking up another full size, and if so I' may consider a gmt900, either that or a 07 Sierra classic , either 1500hd or 2500, not sure yet, Time will tell. I'm loving my rig though, been cleaning it up a bit more since I got it and upgrading a few things here and there.
You are correct,my 2017 is the only one with AFM. My wife likes that body style and I agreed to a newer one once she finisher her nurse practitioner. It just happened to come true on vacation when the 2nd 09 denali started chugging oil for all meals of the day. I put in a RANGE Device asap and it's been AFM free since.

I purposely bought 2007-09 for years because of no AFM. That shit is garbage, and not worth the minute EPA CAFE benefit for MPG . What a joke. Stay away from it if you can.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, all the Denali's I've bought 2007-09 were used, higher mileage one owner. Only 1 of the 2009 models was a POS because the owner was a POS and I didn't know it until I was trapped in a purchase agreement. Otherwise, they are good machines and with decent maintenance you can expect a long life from them

OP
OP

1xd5

Reaction score
And, all the Denali's I've bought 2007-09 were used, higher mileage one owner. Only 1 of the 2009 models was a POS because the owner was a POS and I didn't know it until I was trapped in a purchase agreement. Otherwise, they are good machines and with decent maintenance you can expect a long life from them
aww man sorry to hear, yea gotta be careful out there with the sketchy sellers. But yea, I don't want to deal with AFM and even though I've read it can be deleted I don't really want to deal with that. That's great she got her NP, congrats, the 2017's look great too, those and the newest ones look to the best imo, but the price is too high for me, maybe later on ill pick one up, not sure how the AFM is doing on the latest engines if they're still doing that, haven't looked up the specs on the newest rigs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93Typhoon

Latest posts