2nd row bench addition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct. As you see in the pic, the 2nd row section of the floor is lower, but even with the seats folded down, it's still higher than the 3rd row & trunk

Exactly this. Even worse, you're not supposed to travel with the second row seats "tumbled and folded" as you see them in niely's photo since they can fall down. In my truck I work around this by using a tie down to loop around the top tether anchor in the row 2 seat, and a structural bar under a row 1 seat.

With Row 2 tumbled and folded you have about 7.5 feet of cargo space with a missing floor where Row 2 goes. You can still bring drywall or plywood home, just keep the tailgate open.

Does anyone know if the NBS and NNBS floor pans have the same bolt pattern? I would *love* to get a seat from a 2006 and put in my 2013. That, or just removing the second row, is the only way I know of to get a true eight foot deep cargo area in an NNBS.

wjoutlaw

Reaction score
IM very interested in your seats, I have black bench seats 2nd row. Hit me up if you still have the buckets and wanna do some trading.
I haven't logged on in quite a bit. Been busy with school and work but just replied to your message.

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bwiggins1985 and I met up today to swap second row seats. He had a 2009 Suburban LT with a tan leather bench. I had a 2013 GMC Yukon XL SLT with premium tan leather bucket seats or captain's chairs. Premium means perforated leather, heated, and power folding.

Mechanically, the swap was straightforward. There are eight studs in the floor of the body where the seats mount. The captain's chairs use four each. The bolts are 18mm hex bolts. A deep socket driver is suggested. Torque to 45 in-lbf. The bench uses two additional 13mm bolts to hold the underbodies together for increased strength. You'll need every single bolt for crashworthiness, so, don't lose them! Our nuts all had captive washers - no free washers to lose.

But, the devil's in the details, or in this case, the carpets. We thought that we could just switch carpets along with the seats and have everything work out perfectly. We were wrong.

See, GM changed the interior spec of the GMT900 Suburban in 2010. So, there are not one but two possibilities for the carpeting that covers the second row seat hardware and the third row footwell area:

- hard plastic covers, or
- a carpet trim piece with sound deadening material.

The trouble is that, with this change, GM changed how the two piece primary interior carpet works. With the hard plastic covers, the two pieces of interior carpet meet right under the second row. The entire floor is carpeted, the seat frames sit on top of the carpet, and the trim piece protects passengers from injuring themselves on studs.

With the move from the hard plastic covers to the carpet trim piece, the two piece carpets are shorter, and the body floor is bare under the second row.

IMG_20190512_113521.jpg

The carpet trim piece insulates and covers this from sill plate to sill plate, the full width of the vehicle.

DSCF6740.jpg

IMG_20190512_150320.jpg

Bwiggins1985 gave me his hard plastic cover.

DSCF6735.jpg

It left a gap in the carpet on each side. For now, I've filled that gap with a custom cut piece of scrap carpet. Long term, I'll want to either obtain the correct carpet, or, put some insulation under the hard plastic piece. Right now it's just a bare floor under that piece.

I gave Bwiggins1985 my carpet and it added thickness to his carpet at the sill plates. He had a tough time getting the sill plates installed. He's going to order hard plastic covers for his captain's chairs.

IMG_20190512_113601.jpg

With the seats being different of course our existing floor mats don't work. We would have gladly swapped but he had black mats and I had tan mats. We each need to modify our existing mats or buy new ones.

I allocated two hours for the swap. That was plenty of time to let us work at a leisurely pace and to research carpet options. 30 minutes for a pro and 60-90 minutes without complications and research is about right.

Really glad I made the change! We have three kids. In every other car we put them three across in row two and open up the back for cargo. Comes in really handy on camping trips. I feel like the buckets are great if you have two or four kids, or bigger kids. But with the buckets we had a bunch of issues:

- daughter had a tough time buckling her booster by herself in row 3. The seat belt buckle is designed to grab the belt when twisted. It's great for installing car seats, but terrible for a little person to do on their own.

- son's rear facing seat was so deep we had to shove the passenger seat really far forward to fit it. Wife didn't have enough leg room.

- not enough cargo space for camping trips.

- can't hear anyone sitting in the third row.

- fights about who sits in the second row.

With these issues solved, we've gladly got three across in the second row.

I did lose power folding and heating in the second row. So what? We'll have car seats in there for at least the next five years. If I'm dead set on a bench with power fold and heat there is one for $2k on eBay two hours away. If I ever want captain's chairs back, I can do another swap, or just buy them. The benches are way harder to find than the buckets.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 3 young kids and didn’t and wouldn’t consider anything but captains in second row. And love the heck out of them. Each kid has his own space, and it’s easy to move around the cabin with out flipping and flopping seats, something challenging for those little hands, and which can be annoying for parents who just want to go sit and let the kids get in. We have a LWB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsoltren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My kids are 1, 3, and 5. I like having the rear facing baby seat in the center of the second row. It protrudes into the front row area but doesn't prevent reclining or pushing back the driver or passenger seat. Previously my wife didn't have enough leg room with the baby seat behind her.

My Yukon XL 2500 is a weekend car. The extra cargo area is welcome for camping trips.

If I want easy third row access - I can just remove the 40% passenger side second row seat and leave a pass through there. It's not quite as convenient as buckets but it works.

We also have a Nissan Leaf and Honda Odyssey. The kids sit three across in those as well. The Odyssey is nice because you don't need to commit to captain's chairs or the bench - you can do either.

Benches are rare, buckets are common. If I ever want to switch back I can just buy buckets.

The nice thing about these trucks is that the seat swap is pretty easy. :D

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished the same swap on my truck. My new to me bench has heated and power seats. My old captains only had heat option. $2k seems very steep considering what i paid ( under $500)

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3 young kids and didn’t and wouldn’t consider anything but captains in second row. And love the heck out of them. Each kid has his own space, and it’s easy to move around the cabin with out flipping and flopping seats, something challenging for those little hands, and which can be annoying for parents who just want to go sit and let the kids get in. We have a LWB.

I have 3 small kids and a swb and I'd rather the bench than captains

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 3 small kids and a swb and I'd rather the bench than captains

Right, with the SWB you kind of have to get the bench with 3 kids as the 3rd row is tiny and it leaves you no cargo room.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, with the SWB you kind of have to get the bench with 3 kids as the 3rd row is tiny and it leaves you no cargo room.

3rd row space isn't a problem for me it's the cargo. so If I'm going somewhere and need the cargo area I just remove the 3rd row a d stick 3 kids on the bench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts