275/60/20 with Factory GM wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1slos10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought a 2005 Tahoe 2wd z71 and would like to run my old wheel/tire setup on the 05. Wheels are factory GMC 20x9 with 275/60/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ tires. Can I get by with just the keys or do I need shock extenders as well. Not looking to lift it any higher than I need to, only need it high enough in front not to rub, and be close to level. Is anybody else running a similar combo and have pics? Also is there a brand on ebay to stay away from or a preferred seller?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

06JET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put keys and shock extensions on my 01 and to be honest I have very little travel on my factory size shocks now. I raised it up 2" with the keys. I would say NO, you don't need the extenders if you are only going up a little. 2" at the tire is a lot less than 2" at the shock location.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@06JET

Remove the extens

It's possible when suspension is in a down travel condition the shock will get damaged. I can't say for certain this is what happened in my case but my shocks faulted soon after I installed the setup. When I replaced the shocks I deleted the extenders and I have much better conditions

Say you don't remove the extens immediately and a condition develops where a 'POP' or 'BANG' noise occurs @ suspension unloading (elevation changes: humps, dips, railroad tracks, etc) this is 99% probable fault in the shocks. I chased that noise for weeks before I replaced the shocks, removing the extens.

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 275/60/R20 nitto dura grapplers on my factory 2007 Denali 20x9 wheels. They fit with no rubbing issues at all on stock non modified suspension.
Edit: said wheel and tire setup is on my 2006 xl Denali.

Last edited:

06JET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is all the travel I have with the shock extenders. 1-1/2". I am probably going to remove them.

001.JPG