2023 Denali ultimate dash rattle/sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjobev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2023 Denali Ultimate. I am noticing a sound coming from the center of the dash when I go over bumps. It sounds like the noise you would get if something is loose and bouncing in the cargo area…only from the dash. My guess is the center channel speaker. I already had to have the drivers door panel replaced for a rattle caused by too much space between the panel and the window. The dealer fixed that problem but said they couldn’t hear the dash issue when they test drove it. At the time I wanted the vehicle back to see if door issue was resolved and didn’t have time to deal with the dash. Will have the dealer check it out again but thought I would check here to see if anyone else has had similar experience. I am not crazy about the idea of taking the dash apart. Thank you

Last edited:

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2023 Denali Ultimate. I am noticing a sound coming from the center of the dash when I go over bumps. It sounds like the noise you would get if something is loose and bouncing in the cargo area…only from the dash. My guess is the center channel speaker. I already had to have the drivers door panel replaced for a rattle caused by too much space between the panel and the window. The dealer fixed that problem but said they couldn’t hear the dash issue when they test drove it. At the time I wanted the vehicle back to see if door issue was resolved and didn’t have time to deal with the dash. Will have the dealer check it out again but thought I would check here to see if anyone else has had similar experience. I am not crazy about the idea of taking the dash apart. Thank you
I've got a plasticy type rattle from the center stack too...sometimes its more like a squeak...its def plastic on plastic type noise...only on bumps. Been getting a bit worse as the weather is warming up here. It's on my list to take in to the dealer, but I don't hold high hopes. I can mimic the sound a bit w/ light pressure on the piano black trim around the AC controls, but holding pressure there doesn't make it stop when I hit bumps.

I need to get someone else to drive and really get down there to hear it...but it is so dang infrequent that its going to be tough...let me know if you figure it out.

OP
OP
J

jjobev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a plasticy type rattle from the center stack too...sometimes its more like a squeak...its def plastic on plastic type noise...only on bumps. Been getting a bit worse as the weather is warming up here. It's on my list to take in to the dealer, but I don't hold high hopes. I can mimic the sound a bit w/ light pressure on the piano black trim around the AC controls, but holding pressure there doesn't make it stop when I hit bumps.

I need to get someone else to drive and really get down there to hear it...but it is so dang infrequent that its going to be tough...let me know if you figure it out.
If anyone has had the big 5 point harness car seats, the head support in those would rattle when you’d hit a bump. That is what it sounds like to me in the dash. Like something in the dash can move around enough to make the sound. I don’t know how easy it is to pop off the grill around the center channel speaker. Just something to deal with that I don’t feel like dealing with.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a plastic on-plastic squeak in my 2015, sprayed some silicone spray on the area of the squeak, wiped off the access which does not hurt the plastic, and problem solved.

OP
OP
J

jjobev

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I love this vehicle but it the most expense with the most dash rattles of any vehicle I've ever owned. I recently had 2021 Tahoe premier and in the last two months have rented a premier and LT suburban with no rattles.

I have tried to slide foam in places like where the dash contacts the AC vents to see if it helps and I could isolate the problem. It makes a slight difference on the more traditional rattling sound but I am still getting very distinct rattle/clunking sound to the left of the center channel speaker when I go over bumps at speed (really bad on interstate driving when going over uneven road). I also slid some foam into the space where the wood tray that covers the wireless charging space slides back into the center stack. The dash thumping is enough to make me consider finding a different vehicle. But before I do that I am going to give the dealer a chance to see if they can fix it because I love the vehicle otherwise. I tried to tell myself to live with it, but I can't do that on a vehicle like this. As a reminder I already had the drivers door panel replaced because of rattling and there being too much space between the window and door frame. It isn't perfect but I have moved on from that unless it gets worse.

I have my first oil change coming up soon and am going to get the service manager to ride with me.

Just checking to see if anyone else has had this as I am not crazy about taking off the dash.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You take a chance of having the service tech scratch or damage the trim if they start taking things apart, there are horror stories on this forum.

like2detail

Reaction score
My 2021 was like that as well, rattles in the console, rattles around the infotainment, rattles around the center channel speaker, rattles in the door panels... was able to get the local dealer to print me off a ton of schematics for the dash and door panels to make disassembly easier than trial and error. Over the course of a year at various times I pretty much removed every trim piece on the dash and put foam tape at a bunch of plastic contact points. It's dead quiet now, not a single rattle. I just tried to be patient, masking tape things up and use the proper plastic trim removal tools so no damage was caused.

The only noise I haven't been able to fix is a wind driven rattle in my drivers door/window area that only happens below 50 degrees. It's summer so I'm enjoying the quiet while I can!

doverton17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 2022 GMC Sierra Denali, which has the same/similar dash as the Yukon Denali. I only have 6K miles on my truck the noises started in the cluster and dash (instrument panel GM calls it) when temperatures started reaching 72-75+ degrees casuing the plastic to expand/contract. I also have a rattle in the driver-side door (seems to be around the speaker) that the dealership claims they cannot replicate but occurs every time I'm on the interstate and hit bumps or rougher roads. It stops if I press a against the speaker.

I have taken my truck to the dealership a total of 5 times now. On my 2nd visit, they claimed they could not replicate the dash plastic popping noise (which is false) but replaced the dash anyway (seems suspect to me, if they claim they could not duplicate the noise) After replacing the dash, the noise is still happening and driving me crazy! I have taken my truck in 2 more times since the dash was replaced and they still claim the noise cannot be duplicated. I told the dealership they likely wouldn't hear the dash noise at this point because the highs were only 65 degrees.

I contacted GM customer care at the recommendation of my sales rep but have gotten nowhere with them. They claim they could get a structural engineer out but it remains unknown if it will happen. Now we are well in fall / soon winter so the noise in the dash will not occur as often because the heat is what makes the plastic contract/expand and causes the popping noises. In my opinion, the issue is a defect for GM and so far they are not willing to take ownership of the issue. Meanwhile, we all spent 75K+ our Denalis and likely won't find a resolution or provide buy-back options unless other individuals with this issue start getting GM's attention. I even provided several videos of the dash noise occurring and that did not help my case because they say they cannot duplicate the noise. If you have this issue, take videos, get to the dealership, and make it known!

Last edited:

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait until it warms up and take the Service Manager for a ride and duplicate the noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9