2022 Tahoe purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDS_87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time poster here. I recently put a $1500 deposit down on a 22 Tahoe 5.3 in transit to the dealer. Started doing some research and you guys have me nervous to say the least. Seeing lots of issues, not just here but on YouTube as well. I also did a deep dive on AutoTrader and have seen a lot of 21 models with unusual service records (I doubt the dealer always lists the actual reason) and the occasional lifter replacement, or electrical issue.

Are these problems really that frequent? I assume you should always expect some bad ones to get through, but this seems extreme.

Any numbers on how many are actually seeing issues?

Any difference with issues on the 22 models versus the 21 models?

Should I just let my deposit go and move on to another brand for now?? I keep my stuff pristine and the last thing I want is the motor being replaced right off the bat. I also worry that once this recession get going, resale values may tank…so I don’t want to rely on resale values. Appreciate the feedback.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure anyone can answer this question. We got new in 2019 and kind of glad we did with all the problems with the new design. Had my share of bad luck with new GM vehicles but our last three have been perfect. (knock on wood)

Big John

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time poster here. I recently put a $1500 deposit down on a 22 Tahoe 5.3 in transit to the dealer. Started doing some research and you guys have me nervous to say the least. Seeing lots of issues, not just here but on YouTube as well. I also did a deep dive on AutoTrader and have seen a lot of 21 models with unusual service records (I doubt the dealer always lists the actual reason) and the occasional lifter replacement, or electrical issue.

Are these problems really that frequent? I assume you should always expect some bad ones to get through, but this seems extreme.

Should I just let my deposit go and move on to another brand for now?? I keep my stuff pristine and the last thing I want is the motor being replaced right off the bat. I also worry that once this recession get going, resale values may tank…so I don’t want to rely on resale values. Appreciate the

Should I just let my deposit go and move on to another brand for now?? I keep my stuff pristine and the last thing I want is the motor being replaced right off the bat. I also worry that once this recession get going, resale values may tank…so I don’t want to rely on resale values. Appreciate the feedback.
We have a 21 premier with zero problems, runs fantastic and we don’t worry about a thing.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2021 Yukon At4 that stayed in the shop...a lot of mickey mouse crap....when we traded it off the bluetooth speaker was all warbled and the SD card error was still popping up (I could list everything else, but after 17 trips into the shop just tells me it was an outlier)

We have a 2022 Z71 now, had it for about 3 months, 10k on it and other than the headlight sensor no "major" issues...the only thing that perturbs me is when you use the button on the tailgate, it opens only about half the time with one press....the other half of the time the first press makes it unlatch and to make it open you have to press the button again (the button on the tailgate, not the remote)

We deliberately downsized on the tech and so far so good

All brands seem to have taken a hit recently, so you may walk away from what is perceived to be an issue and walk straight into a nightmare.

i'd stick with the 2022

Kehoelaw1989

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m still getting used to my 22 (had it only about 2.5 months) but have not had any issues while putting on some decent mileage during a few lengthy trips. It’s such a great vehicle, I’m glad I stuck it out and got one!

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
21 RST here no issues. Currently at 15850 on the clock. Cant stop driving this tank…

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
21 premier, 16,000+ miles. No problems, best ride we’ve ever owned. I would say if your getting it at sticker or below then your not gona lose on this, the big GM suvs and diesel trucks have always been some of the best resale vehicles for decades.

OP
OP
J

JDS_87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Really appreciate all of the replies! Finally some positive news lol

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
21 premier here. Had it for 15 months. Have 27k on the clock. Oil changes and tire rotations only.
Consider, they build hundreds of thousands of these things and you’ll only hear about the complaints. Rarely do people seek out these forums to praise their trucks

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.