2021 Yukon Denali automatic brakes enabled error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

April Nalle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Yukon Denali, 4 times while driving it comes to a complete stop for no reason. Took it into the local dealer and they can’t find anything wrong. So today my husband was driving at a speed of 65mph while set on cruise and it did it again and then resumed back to the speed set. This is very dangerous and now I’m afraid to drive this very expensive vehicle.... has anyone else had this issue...

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if the cruise control is active when it’s occurring. If it’s on, maybe the adaptive cruise control is engaging when it shouldn’t due to a false reading. Maybe that would give you piece of mind that it won’t engage unexpectedly unless it’s the collision avoidance system.

If it’s not coming from the adaptive cruise, maybe it’s the collision avoidance/automatic braking although that shouldn’t engage at that speed although can be disabled through the vehicle settings area as a workaround for now.

Just curious…how old and how many miles are on it? I’ve got a 2021 Tahoe with the collision avoidance/automatic braking but not adaptive cruise. I haven’t had that happen yet but have seen a few complaints on the NHTSA website about what you’re describing happening on a 2021 Tahoe before (think on the complaint they replaced a sensor in the mirror that was sending a false reading to the computer). Might want to lodge a complaint there too.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How’s the rain been by you?

I've noticed that the sensors on these trucks can get a little finicky when they are waterlogged. I think that the sensors aren’t always aligned properly and either the rain screws with the sensors perception or get a false reading.

the above is not particularly for the 21 but the last gen too

OP
OP
A

April Nalle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wonder if the cruise control is active when it’s occurring. If it’s on, maybe the adaptive cruise control is engaging when it shouldn’t due to a false reading. Maybe that would give you piece of mind that it won’t engage unexpectedly unless it’s the collision avoidance system.

If it’s not coming from the adaptive cruise, maybe it’s the collision avoidance/automatic braking although that shouldn’t engage at that speed although can be disabled through the vehicle settings area as a workaround for now.

Just curious…how old and how many miles are on it? I’ve got a 2021 Tahoe with the collision avoidance/automatic braking but not adaptive cruise. I haven’t had that happen yet but have seen a few complaints on the NHTSA website about what you’re describing happening on a 2021 Tahoe before (think on the complaint they replaced a sensor in the mirror that was sending a false reading to the computer). Might want to lodge a complaint there too.
3 times it happened and I was pulling out onto an intersection. Today it was on cruise so it’s happening at different times. Mine is a 2021 Yukon Denali with 12,000 miles.
Where do I go to file a complaint?

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 times it happened and I was pulling out onto an intersection. Today it was on cruise so it’s happening at different times. Mine is a 2021 Yukon Denali with 12,000 miles.
Where do I go to file a complaint?

April: curious what your dealer has said so far. That seems crazy!

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Yukon Denali, 4 times while driving it comes to a complete stop for no reason. Took it into the local dealer and they can’t find anything wrong. So today my husband was driving at a speed of 65mph while set on cruise and it did it again and then resumed back to the speed set. This is very dangerous and now I’m afraid to drive this very expensive vehicle.... has anyone else had this issue...
Advise your dealer to look up #PIT5836.

OP
OP
A

April Nalle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
April: curious what your dealer has said so far. That seems crazy!
They said they checked the systems, there are no updates, contacted Gm and was told they have had no complaints. Now it’s going back in tomorrow as it did it this time at 65 mph

2021_Yukon_Owner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On 4-5 occasions since purchasing a new 2021 GMC Yukon Denali the automatic breaking function has engaged for no reason, with no obstruction in the roadway. It has occurred at low speed (after disengaging break and starting to drive), as well as on the highway at high speed. Obviously, this is a major safety issue. I had the car in to service last year and they said the move the toll transponder. We did that. Subsequently, this issue has occurred multiple times. So yesterday, I called and spoke to service team at the dealer. They said to bring the car in and move the transponder further away from the center of the top of the windshield. We removed it. I asked him to note our file and he said we had to have the car in to service to do that. He said to call GMC at 800-462-8782 and report the issue. So I called the # and asked them if this has happened to other owners and she said she could not tell me and she could not note her file either. So we will bring the car in to have the service dept run a diagnostic. I will attempt to disengage this function by reading the manual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues