2021 USB ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Litsnsirn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a new to me 2021 XL Denali, I was trying to connect an old school iPod or a usb flash drive with music to either of the usb ports and nothing seems to happen, neither shows up as a source when plugged in, but the iPod will charge. Is there someplace that you need to enable data ports or something similar?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a new to me 2021 XL Denali, I was trying to connect an old school iPod or a usb flash drive with music to either of the usb ports and nothing seems to happen, neither shows up as a source when plugged in, but the iPod will charge. Is there someplace that you need to enable data ports or something similar?
they might have updated the requirements for ipods, meaning you might need a newer model ipod versus a older model that may no longer be compatible, it may be noted somewhere in the owmers manual or reach out to customer service during normal business hours eastern time.

OP
OP
L

Litsnsirn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you supposed to be able to use mp3 files on a usb stick?

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As someone who just purchased a used 2021 Yukon Denali, 1st new purchase in 12yrs, I can understand...

What I've found is that my vehicle has ApplePlay app that connects to you're iphone thru USB or bluetooth. ApplePlay displays portions of you're phone on the center screen - and you can select/play music from it, invoke Google navigation, make/receive calls and things like that. There's also an Andriod app for Android phones.

For old-school plug-in usb stick kind of thing I'm guessing you need a vehicle app. There might be something you can download to the vehicle? but it's getting pretty old school.

BTW - don't make my mistake thinking you could use the micro sd card / card reader in the center console - I popped it out and it corrupted built-in Navigation. Had to buy a new one - https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/sd-card-removed-and-i-did-it-yikes.143310/

Last edited:

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The '21+ platform doesn't seem to recognize devices like Ipods, tablets, etc. for USB playback. They're expecting that you'll play through your phone using either CarPlay or Android Auto, or phone connected via bluetooth.

You can take your Itunes library, add the audio files to a USB stick and that will work using the USB port in the center console.

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 21 is sensitive to the USB stick format. FAT16 works. FAT32 is not recognized at all.

OP
OP
L

Litsnsirn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve tried the USB sticks that I was using in my 2015 Outback, I’m pretty sure that they are FAT 32 formatted, and they don’t seem to show up as a source. Is there anything that should absolutely work, so I can make sure that the ports are functional? If they don’t work, I’d like to know so I can take it back and complain.

OP
OP
L

Litsnsirn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve tried formatting a stick with Fat 16 and it still isn’t recognized. Is there anything that I can try that should absolutely work? If the port’s data connection is dead, I’d like to get it fixed.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve tried formatting a stick with Fat 16 and it still isn’t recognized. Is there anything that I can try that should absolutely work? If the port’s data connection is dead, I’d like to get it fixed.
there is only 2 usb ports? i don't have a T2 so unfamiliar buy my 18 has 4 usb ports, not sure how many my wifes 16 has I think it has atleast 4 also
but at any rate plug your phone in to it and see if it finds that

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a ‘22 Yukon and the other day the kids asked about the music folder we had in our old Honda Pilot. I found the USB stick and plugged it in. Yukon recognized it when I selected USB as the source. Worked great - double checked the USB drive and it says it’s formatted as FAT32.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts