2021 Tahoe Braking performance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jboeckler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone else thinks the braking performance on the Tahoe is poor. Truck has 20k miles on it and the brakes just seem to require a lot of pressure to stop and even when you apply pressure it just doesn’t seem to stop very well.

Pedal seems fine and I thought I would get used to it but I drive my F150 and then the Tahoe and it is like night and day with the F150 having much more initial bite and easier to modulate.

Maybe I need to bleed the brake lines? Or just replace the pads with a more aggressive pad. Seems crazy that I would need to do this with such a new car.

I took it to dealer and of course they said they were fine.

Anyways just curious if anyone has had the same experience.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These brakes are light years better than the previous generation. Might be the electronic boost not finctioning correctly. Also does take awhile to wear them in depending on how mich you use them.

OP
OP
J

jboeckler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I don’t think it would be a wear issue with that many miles however maybe the boost isn’t working correctly like you said.

The brakes work but it just requires a lot of force. It is hard to slam the brakes on hard. Couple times I have had to make a hard stop going 55mph and it took a longer to stop the truck. My F150 stops much quicker and with less effort. Kinda strange.

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't noticed a problem, but pedal feel and modulation is pretty subjective. One person's ideal is overboost and too aggressive for others. If you think there's an issue with your vehicle, find an empty stretch of road and hammer the brakes at 50 MPH or so. If the ABS activates, then the brakes are doing all they're supposed to. If not, some diagnostics may be in order.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve not noticed any braking issues. They work 100 times better than the brakes on my other frequent driver, an OBS Silverado

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brakes work but it just requires a lot of force. It is hard to slam the brakes on hard. Couple times I have had to make a hard stop going 55mph and it took a longer to stop the truck. My F150 stops much quicker and with less effort. Kinda strange.
The brakes on my '19 XL were the same way, it felt like the brakes were glazed over. I thought about going to a different rotor and brake material to see if that would help.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I don’t think it would be a wear issue with that many miles however maybe the boost isn’t working correctly like you said.

There’s always the $3500 Brembo Upgrade from the accessories store…$$$$$

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s always the $3500 Brembo Upgrade from the accessories store…$$$$$
Or the PPV retrofit which is the same thing but only a couple hundred.

Unfortunately, neither of these will upgrade the brakes where they are needed the most which would be the rear axle.

ChemEng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only complaint about the truck is the brakes... the first 50% isn't progressive. it feels like the time my F250 brakes overheated going down a mountain.

If i get on it, then it will stop hard, but its not confidence inspiring.

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brakes on my 2 week old 2022 Yukon SLT are WAYYYYY better than the 2015 Yukon that I traded in!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE