2021 RST vs. Z71 Ride Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwade

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can anyone provide any insights to the "real world" differences in ride quality between the Z71 and RST (let's assume you have the 'best' suspension options for each, eg - adaptive air ride yada yada). While the RST is designed for "street ride" and the Z71 for off-road, there are puts and takes (20 inch AS vs. 18 inch AS/AT). My wife doesn't want to drive anything too "truck like", but I'd be willing to bet 18 inch wheels probably ride better than 20s all things being equal...but are all things equal?

Appreciate thoughts from those who have one or the other or have ideally driven both.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide any insights to the "real world" differences in ride quality between the Z71 and RST (let's assume you have the 'best' suspension options for each, eg - adaptive air ride yada yada). While the RST is designed for "street ride" and the Z71 for off-road, there are puts and takes (20 inch AS vs. 18 inch AS/AT). My wife doesn't want to drive anything too "truck like", but I'd be willing to bet 18 inch wheels probably ride better than 20s all things being equal...but are all things equal?

Appreciate thoughts from those who have one or the other or have ideally driven both.
Haven't driven an RST but if setup identically (which would mean MRC on both since you can't get Air Ride on the RST) i think any difference in ride quality would only be from the tire/wheel combo. I've not seen anything anywhere to indicate suspension tuning is any different between the models. The All seasons on the RST should be a bit softer/quieter than the AT's on the Z71 -- but these are pretty mild AT's so i think they give a pretty good ride on my At4.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t forget about the wheel size on the RST. They come with 22’s vs the 20’ on the Z71. I personally felt at first my RST was a bit stiff going thru bumpy roads but later realized it may be the wheel size. Other than that I mean I have the premium smooth ride and it’s one the best that I’ve owned.

Reaction score
My brother in law has a 2021 RST(front) and I have a 2021 Z71, both with passive suspension and I can say that I don't see a noticeable difference in ride quality. Both run specified tire pressure and have not been modified in any way.

Attachments

• Resized_20211212_184045.jpeg
    Resized_20211212_184045.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 27

jimgeb

Reaction score
For what it's worth I ordered my 2022 Premier specifically because I could get 20" wheels. I did experience some ride quality differences with 22" wheels and even the dealer's salesmen agreed there is a some difference. Also the 20" wheels may offer additional cushion and prevent damage when hitting the ever present potholes in my area of the country.

Reaction score
We just purchased a 22 z71 with the basic suspension, and the ride is better (smoother)than our 18 Denali was. I don’t think she will be disappointed with either one.

Kmack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input...sounds like my wife's decision will come down to looks then. Glad that didn't happen when we got married...
Thanks for all the input...sounds like my wife's decision will come down to looks then. Glad that didn't happen when we got married...
Hey gwade, which Tahoe did you go with? I have been wondering the same thing, is the RST ride quality worse than the z71 (assuming z71 has the air suspension and both have magnetic ride control).