2021 Denali (Yukon XL) Transmission cooler standard?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keg8605

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello - been scouring the forums and found lots of useful info. Been looking for a 2021 plus yukon XL with towing package or 3.0 diesel and they are very hard to come by. I'm find some conflicting info surrounding the tow packages. Looking to clear up if the transmission cooler is actually already on some of these builds or not.

We are looking at a 2021 Yukon XL Denali Premium Package and they are saying the transmission cooler is standard on this model. I also found this from the GMC link below for the 2021 Denali trim. I'll only be towing my boat 3-4 times a year and likely not far. Just would like to make sure I'm good in case we take a road trip at some point.

• External auxiliary transmission oil cooler
    • Heavy-duty air-to-oil cooler
    • Helps prevent transmission overheating
    • Helps provides optimal transmission performance even when operating under a heavy load or towing a trailer
  • External engine oil cooler
    • Helps the engine generate peak performance efficiently
    • Helps prevent possible engine oil breakdown during high-performance driving or under loads

Link to the car I'm considering too.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice color and does not have the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller. It does have the package which includes the additional cameras to see the trailer hitch but I do not know if it would have the coolers you are looking for. Ask the salesman to pop the hood and send you some photos AND send a photo of the QR code in the door for the RPO sheet.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello - been scouring the forums and found lots of useful info. Been looking for a 2021 plus yukon XL with towing package or 3.0 diesel and they are very hard to come by. I'm find some conflicting info surrounding the tow packages. Looking to clear up if the transmission cooler is actually already on some of these builds or not.

We are looking at a 2021 Yukon XL Denali Premium Package and they are saying the transmission cooler is standard on this model. I also found this from the GMC link below for the 2021 Denali trim. I'll only be towing my boat 3-4 times a year and likely not far. Just would like to make sure I'm good in case we take a road trip at some point.

• External auxiliary transmission oil cooler
    • Helps prevent transmission overheating
    • Helps provides optimal transmission performance even when operating under a heavy load or towing a trailer
  • External engine oil cooler
    • Helps the engine generate peak performance efficiently
    • Helps prevent possible engine oil breakdown during high-performance driving or under loads

Link to the car I'm considering too.
If it does not have the traiier brake controller, it does not have the Max Tow package.

But, I without the Max Tow, the rig is still rated to tow 7400 lbs.
If your boat is under that, and you have good surge brakes on it...you are probably fine.

Here is the GMC Trailering Guide -> https://www.gmc.com/content/dam/gmc...21CT100_2021_GMC_Trailering Guide_DIGITAL.pdf

301Bobbo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Without the max tow option you will have a significant sag at the hitch (2"+) a smaller radiator and no trans cooler. Another option is the ZLG and the air shocks options. If you tow a 5000# trailer with a WDH you will likely not be limited by payload (see B post info) or tow weight but may be may be approaching the hitch weight limit of 10-15%, either 740# or 840# depending on the model.
The '21 and newer IR suspensions have prevented adding jounce supports or air bags; there are none in aftermarket at this date. I had to replace rear shocks with Bilstein 5100 shocks at .6" setting and upgrade to a new Weigh Safe Medium WDH to manage the 2.5" rear wheel sag from my camper. If I had it to do over again I would have searched for a used one with either of those more robust packages. Mine only had ZLG.
The 5.3 10 speed tows that camper easily on 87 gas @ 10 mpg.