2020 Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeffx23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am thinking of buying the 2020 yukon XL and wanted to check with everyone here of what are some things to look our for. I know the 2021 is coming out and with GM announcing 0% financing now is best time to haggle the best price for the 2020s I believe.

What are some common problems I can expect to face owning this car?

In terms of reliability, can I expect to go 150k miles without any issues as long as I maintain the car? I will do oil changes and fluids every 6k miles.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome Jeff. We don't hear of many problems with the latest generation in the past few years. All of the bugs seem to have been ironed out by now. Others will chime in. When you take her on the road, get up to highway speeds and look for vibrations and buffeting. Also get a sense for how the engine idles over a five to ten minutes once warmed up. Some guys complain of a vibration which could be just a low idle or maybe something undefined as yet.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am thinking of buying the 2020 yukon XL and wanted to check with everyone here of what are some things to look our for. I know the 2021 is coming out and with GM announcing 0% financing now is best time to haggle the best price for the 2020s I believe.

What are some common problems I can expect to face owning this car?

In terms of reliability, can I expect to go 150k miles without any issues as long as I maintain the car? I will do oil changes and fluids every 6k miles.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you
Speaking from experience you will end up with a vehicle with zero electrical gremlins, or a myriad of inexplicable frustrating issues. Whichever vehicle you decide to haggle on, drive that specific vehicle and test EVERY function more than once.

OP
OP
J

Jeffx23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome Jeff. We don't hear of many problems with the latest generation in the past few years. All of the bugs seem to have been ironed out by now. Others will chime in. When you take her on the road, get up to highway speeds and look for vibrations and buffeting. Also get a sense for how the engine idles over a five to ten minutes once warmed up. Some guys complain of a vibration which could be just a low idle or maybe something undefined as yet.
Thank you, will do! thats great to know you dont hear much issues. I do find comfort in knowing much of the powertrain has been tried and tested for many years.

OP
OP
J

Jeffx23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Speaking from experience you will end up with a vehicle with zero electrical gremlins, or a myriad of inexplicable frustrating issues. Whichever vehicle you decide to haggle on, drive that specific vehicle and test EVERY function more than once.
Thanks! any specific electrical functions i should focus on?

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! any specific electrical functions i should focus on?
I'd recommend thoroughly testing the remote start and passive entry system. For remote start I'd walk away in every direction and test the range from each angle. For the passive entry I'd test each of the 5 doors, standing at maximum arm reach, incrementally moving closer until the function works. If it doesn't work until you are within 1' of so of the vehicle, you may have an issue. Also, test the hands-free lift gate to make sure both sensors work. Also test the start / stop and Apple Play (my IPod and Yukon don't like each other very much). Then drive on the highway at slow, medium and fast speeds to make sure you don't have the roof buffet that affects some vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz