Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmhorns

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2018 Chevy Tahoe Z71 Midnight/Texas Edition
Original look, untouched, until........
original front view.jpg

The breakdown..... (Figured if I'm gonna do it, then this was the best way to dip it right)
The picture makes it look harder than it really is...

front grille removed.jpg

Plasti-dipping the chrome grille.....
I taped out the inner portions of the grille to save time pealing overspray and plasti-dip.
dipped grille 1.jpg

Headlight trim dipping......
This was a pain (tight gaps), I wish I would've pulled the headlights out since the grille was already out, would have made it much easier!
dipped headlight trim.jpg

Dipping the hooks red........
red dipped hooks.jpg

I'll post the finished next, since I can only attach 5 pics at a time....

OP
OP
cmhorns

cmhorns

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2018 Tahoe grille dipped and insert process PART II

Everything I dipped was approx 8 coats, a little lighter in some areas and a little heavier in other areas.

Finished......
I ordered the OEM Z71 logo for the mesh, felt like it should've been added at the factory!
the grille insert I ordered from CarID, it's an APG 2-piece Rivet style black 1.8 mesh.
It really is built well, but don't let them lie to you, those shiny rivets are ABS not polished stainless like they say. (they are f****** liars)

The picture doesn't show the mess well, I have even considered cutting the factory plastic chain grilling out. I haven't decided if I really feel like doing that, I think it would be a big job because I would end up having to strengthen it with something.
finished grille.jpg

Moguy0416

Reaction score
Looks awesome. Gonna do mine + the chrome window trim. Plan to install new headlight units. I have taken the number off once. Pain at first but this video help a LOT.

Tahoe_Rx

Reaction score
My 2018 Chevy Tahoe Z71 Midnight/Texas Edition
Original look, untouched, until........
View attachment 265909

The breakdown..... (Figured if I'm gonna do it, then this was the best way to dip it right)
The picture makes it look harder than it really is...

View attachment 265910

Plasti-dipping the chrome grille.....
I taped out the inner portions of the grille to save time pealing overspray and plasti-dip.
View attachment 265911

Headlight trim dipping......
This was a pain (tight gaps), I wish I would've pulled the headlights out since the grille was already out, would have made it much easier!
View attachment 265912

Dipping the hooks red........
View attachment 265913

I'll post the finished next, since I can only attach 5 pics at a time....
This looks great. I am considering doing the same on my ‘19 LT. Just curious how the plasti dip has held up and if you have had to touch it up at all since your original post. Thanks

Tahoe_Rx

Reaction score
You inspired me to dip all the chrome in mine. Very happy with the way it came out. 828A2FFB-4644-42B8-AFAB-3295595F4C5F.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11