Tahoe Z71 renovation project - Blackout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost traded my NNBS Tahoe Z71 in back in February because I had a ton of GM card points to use and the Tahoe needed some TLC. Unfortunately i'm not a big fan of the new Tahoes nor spending near $70k for one and I just wasn't happy with anything smaller. Got real close to a deal on a new LT Trail Boss but I backed out because i've never been a big fan of pickups. So i've decided i'm going to invest some money into the Tahoe and hold onto it for at least another 3 years. The idea is not to build the ultimate Tahoe - just to bring my NNBS more up-to-date with many of the now-available features that the GMT900 didn't offer.

I've got a bunch of threads detailing the different phases of the project - this is the exterior appearance thread. It'll be a quick one because it wasn't some epic project, in comparison to the others at least.

My inspiration for this was a 2018 midnight edition silverado with red accent badges. First I went with a gloss black grille, and applied 3M 1080 matte black wrap to the Z71 bumper insert. I also carefully painted the outer edge of the grille bowtie in red (did the rear also but don't have a pic):

20190423_192339.jpg

Then I added black TAHOE badges, and changed out the Z71 badges to the new style in black with red Z. Finally, Vision Turbine 353 18x9 wheels in matte black:

20190713_141702.jpg 20190715_203756.jpg

You can see my other threads from the renovation project for the much more interesting work.

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the cut of your jib.

This is a great story, documented well and excellent, tasteful mods.

I agree with your belief. Have a good vehicle, keep it. New is nice but not always best for many reasons. Paid off but lots of life left. As things age, replace and repair with better. I look forward to repair items in a way.. chance for more mods!

Change diff fluid? Why not get a new diff cover while I am doing that!

Which front push guard? What tires?

Last edited:

bmpalmerjr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I almost traded my NNBS Tahoe Z71 in back in February because I had a ton of GM card points to use and the Tahoe needed some TLC. Unfortunately i'm not a big fan of the new Tahoes nor spending near $70k for one and I just wasn't happy with anything smaller. Got real close to a deal on a new LT Trail Boss but I backed out because i've never been a big fan of pickups. So i've decided i'm going to invest some money into the Tahoe and hold onto it for at least another 3 years. The idea is not to build the ultimate Tahoe - just to bring my NNBS more up-to-date with many of the now-available features that the GMT900 didn't offer.

I've got a bunch of threads detailing the different phases of the project - this is the exterior appearance thread. It'll be a quick one because it wasn't some epic project, in comparison to the others at least.

My inspiration for this was a 2018 midnight edition silverado with red accent badges. First I went with a gloss black grille, and applied 3M 1080 matte black wrap to the Z71 bumper insert. I also carefully painted the outer edge of the grille bowtie in red (did the rear also but don't have a pic):

View attachment 230278

Then I added black TAHOE badges, and changed out the Z71 badges to the new style in black with red Z. Finally, Vision Turbine 353 18x9 wheels in matte black:

View attachment 230279 View attachment 230280

You can see my other threads from the renovation project for the much more interesting work.

I’m working on a similar blackout of my 2013 NNBS Z71 Tahoe.

Do you mind sharing a link for the blacked out grille and the z71 emblems? I’ve been searching over and over for the grille, can’t seem to find an exact match anywhere as the Z71 grille seems to be slightly different than the standard Tahoe grille.

OP
OP
T

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been searching over and over for the grille, can’t seem to find an exact match anywhere as the Z71 grille seems to be slightly different than the standard Tahoe grille.

Yeah i've heard that too, and I can't figure out why they say that. Here's the grille I got, nothing special, plain old Tahoe grille, and it fits like factory, with no modifications needed:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Mesh...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Here's the Z71 badges...these are a PITA because they are hollow on the backside, so if you just use the included tape there's no way they are going to stay on because there's barely anything for the tape to stick too. I filled in the back sides of the emblems with JB weld, and then sprayed the edges of the BRIGHT WHITE mounting tape with black spray paint so it doesn't stick out like an Alaskan in Compton.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Black...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Shawgeorge11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Reviving the old thread…. Really like what you did with the Tahoe. I have a similar looking Yukon. Could you tell me what brand the sidesteps are. Thank you

OP
OP
T

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work! My side steps are stock Z71 steps. You can sometimes find them on eBay. I've been thinking about switching to a "rock rail" style bar but the ones I really wanted to get were discontinued right around the time I made the decision and I can't find anything I like enough to pull the trigger on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9