2018 Denali/Towing Car Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bad_idea

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Yukon XL Denali with the tow package. I plan to tow a 1990 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) on a home built car trailer. This trip will be ~600 miles one way. I have done minimal towing, none with this truck. I have read a distributive hitch would be a good investment. Looking for advice on specific unit and place to purchase to best suit my intended use.

Also looking on any other good advice on this. Thanks all.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Yukon XL Denali with the tow package. I plan to tow a 1990 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) on a home built car trailer. This trip will be ~600 miles one way. I have done minimal towing, none with this truck. I have read a distributive hitch would be a good investment. Looking for advice on specific unit and place to purchase to best suit my intended use.

Also looking on any other good advice on this. Thanks all.
You can probably get away without a weight distributing hitch (WDH) for this trip if you load the car hauler right. You'll only want about 10-15% of the weight of the loaded trailer on the tongue, but no less than 10%. That said, a WDH is always helpful for reducing the wind sway from passing trucks or on windy days and adds a nice safety margin. Makes the whole experience much more enjoyable, and also easier on your truck's air suspension and rear end.

If your homemade trailer has a standard a-frame behind the ball, then you can use almost any WDH. I have the Camco Recurve R3 and I love it. Affordable and easy to set up. Lots of YouTube videos out there on it also.