2018 Denali Lane Departure Warning and Front Parking Assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wa3cuj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My vehicle is 13 months old and I just turned over 10k miles. About a week ago I developed a change in my Lane Departure Warning and my Front Parking Assist. I use to get a vibrating seat as soon as the icon for either of these changed in the drivers display. Now the icons change but no vibration or beep (selectble in vehicle settings in the Infotainment Center.) I do get a vibration when the rear sensors detect something.

I had the vehicle at the dealer today and they contacted GMC. The answer they gave me is that the vehicle is behaving as designed!! I can't believe this, since for 13 months it would vibrate immediately when the lane departure icon changed from green to amber.

Having and icon change color is not much of a warning! A vibration or beep is needed and it use to be there.

How is the system working in your vehicle??

Boatguy

Reaction score
2017 Denali here with 8,000 miles. The Lane departure feature is all but useless. It buzzes my seat about one time in ten when testing the feature. The Lane keep assist isn’t much better. It will pretty much bounce us off the guardrails if it steers at all.

My biggest peeve though is the adaptive cruise control. It follows too closely. All these issues have been brought to the dealer’s attention (twice), and both times the car was declared “within spec”. I showed the service manager a video of our Denali tailgating a truck on the freeway, and the response was “if the vehicle isn’t throwing a code, I can’t replace anything.”

Now the front parking feature works great. I park in the garage, and I get buzzed every time going in.

I’ve posted my problems with the lane keep assist and ACC before. Others have responded theirs works fine. I guess there is kind of a lottery with these cars. Some work better than others while all are “within spec”. I wish Honda made a full sized SUV.

Edit:I don’t dislike this car. This is the most comfortable road trip and trailering vehicle I’ve ever owned. I just wish more of the tech worked like our 2018 Honda’s does.

Last edited:
Reaction score
2017 Denali here with 8,000 miles. The Lane departure feature is all but useless. It buzzes my seat about one time in ten when testing the feature. The Lane keep assist isn’t much better. It will pretty much bounce us off the guardrails if it steers at all.

My biggest peeve though is the adaptive cruise control. It follows too closely. All these issues have been brought to the dealer’s attention (twice), and both times the car was declared “within spec”. I showed the service manager a video of our Denali tailgating a truck on the freeway, and the response was “if the vehicle isn’t throwing a code, I can’t replace anything.”

Now the front parking feature works great. I park in the garage, and I get buzzed every time going in.

I’ve posted my problems with the lane keep assist and ACC before. Others have responded theirs works fine. I guess there is kind of a lottery with these cars. Some work better than others while all are “within spec”. I wish Honda made a full sized SUV.

Edit:I don’t dislike this car. This is the most comfortable road trip and trailering vehicle I’ve ever owned. I just wish more of the tech worked like our 2018 Honda’s does.
did you tried adjusting the gap ? what i mean ...there is a menu where you can choose how big of a gap you want to leave between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead. supposed to be 3 settings on how far you want to be away from the car ahead.

Boatguy

Reaction score
did you tried adjusting the gap ? what i mean ...there is a menu where you can choose how big of a gap you want to leave between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead. supposed to be 3 settings on how far you want to be away from the car ahead.

Yup. I’m on the longest gap. Reducing the gap only makes it follow closer, but not by much.

I’m not unfamiliar with the technology. This is our second car with these features. I liked them so much on our Honda, I shelled out the extra bucks for them on the Yukon. Such a disappointment.

We’ve done another road trip since my first post above. We just use the ACC as a regular CC with the + and - buttons. This actually saves the trans from another deficiency: when there is a big gap (>10 mph) between the set speed and the actual speed, when the car you are following gets out of the way (as it is likely to do because we are tailgating them) the computer seemingly floors the throttle. The trans drops two or three gears and all 420 hp are called upon to resume speed. This cannot be good for trans longevity.

Still, this is our most comfortable road trip car ever. We put the AWD and 4WD to the test pretty ******* the last trip and they performed great.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yup. I’m on the longest gap. Reducing the gap only makes it follow closer, but not by much.

I’m not unfamiliar with the technology. This is our second car with these features. I liked them so much on our Honda, I shelled out the extra bucks for them on the Yukon. Such a disappointment.

We’ve done another road trip since my first post above. We just use the ACC as a regular CC with the + and - buttons. This actually saves the trans from another deficiency: when there is a big gap (>10 mph) between the set speed and the actual speed, when the car you are following gets out of the way (as it is likely to do because we are tailgating them) the computer seemingly floors the throttle. The trans drops two or three gears and all 420 hp are called upon to resume speed. This cannot be good for trans longevity.

Still, this is our most comfortable road trip car ever. We put the AWD and 4WD to the test pretty ******* the last trip and they performed great.
hmm... if everything working as it should the algorithm shouldn't allow it for hard acceleration like that. I worked on the 77 ghz and the 24 ghz radars for BSD and ACC in my past days when I was at Continental. When you follow a car on a curve do you see anything changing ? I would ask the dealership to run a calibration on it.

Boatguy

Reaction score
The only thing that happens on curves is you must disconnect the ACC or it can lock on the vehicle on the outside of the curve in the next lane. If that vehicle is going slower, the ACC will command brakes. But that is in the manual, so I just don’t use the ACC on a curvy freeway.

Interesting you say the throttle should not go WOT when the ACC resumes. Maybe I have another reason to try another dealership.

You mentioned “run a calibration on it”. The service manager told me there is nothing to check on these. They are either throwing a code or they are not. According to him.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 19 has had the light on the mirror come on at random times since it was new (3k miles now). Its had "front sensor blocked, refer to owners manual. Forward collision disabled" come on twice. The first time it was pouring rain so I assumed that was the issue. The second time it was clear and nothing around me. Last week my wife was driving and it popped up "take control of the wheel". I'm not sure if these issues are common or not. I haven't had time to take it in to the dealer.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 19 den xl has 2000 miles on it, I turn all that crap off. Ive used the cruise when i drove it home from dealer and it worked fine.... wife says she uses it around town (not sure why but hey, whatever she wants) and it works fine.