2017 Yukon will not lower

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoocon77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I got the 2/4 kit from Tony for my 2017 SLT. Rear autoride, non autoride in the front. Put the rear springs and shock extenders on, went to put the fronts on and realized half way through they were 2wd spindles. Long story short, I got ahold of belltech and they sent me the correct 4wd ones a few weeks later. After installed, I measured a 3/4 drop center hub to fender. Couldn't get ahold of Tony, so called belltech. I've looked at EVERYTHING, or so I believe. Loosened control arms, set it back on the ground with end links disconnected, it will NOT go lower than 3/4". Again, long story short, they're perplexed. So they offer me drop struts to combine with the 3/4 drop I'm getting from the spindles to reach 1 3/4. I say the whole reason I got the spindles was for a smooth ride, and they agree to send me another set in case they were defective. They're on backorder so I waited 6 weeks. New ones come in, do the same thing. I measured and used digital calipers to compare the 2 sets. Pretty much identical. They even measured correctly against the factory ones with the hub moved higher on the spindle to lower the vehicle. So back to the drawing board. They again, agree to still send me the adjustable drop struts. If anyone is wondering by this point, belltech definitely did what they could for me. So the drop struts show up. I install with the correct amount of rings for a 1" drop and install with the drop spindles. End up with 3/4" AGAIN. remove spindles, remove springs, remove ALL rings. Reinstall struts with no rings, factory spindles. Get 1.5" drop when it should have been 3" with no rings. I made a tough decision and removed the struts and put the front end back to stock because I have no idea what's going on up there and don't want to be riding around like that without answers. Can anyone think of anything I haven't yet?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you have auto ride on the rear and not front? Did you change the rear ride height rods? Have you driven it at all or just dropping it and measuring? When I lowered mine, I had to drive it a bit to get everything to settle in.

OP
OP
Y

Yoocon77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So my yukon came with the smooth ride package. Autoride shocks in the back and regular struts in the front. Adjusted the links in the back. The back sits fine and where it should. I've taken the spindles on and off 5 or 6 times between trying the new parts and just to take before and after pictures for belltechs engineering department and driven the car a short distance each time to account for settling parts. It's exhausting taking the front end apart that many times just to see that it didn't work. There was a thread I believe on here that I rear 2 other people had this same issue and don't believe there was ever a reason found. Other than that, belltech is saying they've never heard of this before. I'm pretty well mechanically inclined, but this really doesn't make any sense. Nothing is binding or hitting when I drive it with the drop spindles on.

OP
OP
Y

Yoocon77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Before and after with the rear springs, shock extenders, and adjusted links.

Attachments

• 20210531_101355.jpg
    20210531_101355.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210531_175001.jpg
    20210531_175001.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Y

Yoocon77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Before and after front drop spindles installed, and compared aftermarket to factory spindles. Then with how it sat with all parts installed.

Attachments

• 20210717_191035.jpg
    20210717_191035.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210718_102826.jpg
    20210718_102826.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210718_095113.jpg
    20210718_095113.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210718_101850.jpg
    20210718_101850.jpg
    586.5 KB · Views: 34

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happens if you leave out the struts? Does it drop the the ground?

Tim

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to just throw this out there. I don't see a 2" drop in the spindles you posted. It looks like 1/2 to 3/4 inch to me. I asked about what it does with no struts because then that would eliminate anything binding. If it lays on the frame, then you know its in the strut assembly or springs. If you are absolutely sure you have the right struts and springs, I'd put it back together and drive it and see if it settles.

Tim

OP
OP
Y

Yoocon77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain they're correct springs and struts. But even if they weren't, they should have absolutely no impact on a drop spindle. I got exactly 3/4" out of the 2" spindle. Next time I get in there to mess around I'll try lowering it a bit without a strut and spring in it to see what happens, but I highly doubt I'll get binding. Every time I messed with the lowering kit it was driven on, every single time, a few blocks to rule out settling because I knew that's the first thing anyone would say. Belltech said to use the drop spindles for the 3/4 drop, and the drop struts for the other 1", but riding on a wild ass setup like that with a 1.5 drop instead of a 3 doesn't make me too inclined to put my family in it lol. I lowered all my vehicles ever since my first truck qhen I was 15, but maybe this one got me beat lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons