2017 Yukon Radio Display Black and No Back-Up Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Perk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello. I have been searching forums and online for answers. 2017 GMC Yukon with about 30k miles. The radio display screen stopped working and the back-up camera doesn't show either. The radio can be controlled thru the steering wheel controls and the lights show up around the temp control knobs and buttons.
Here is what I have tried:
- Disconnected and reconnected all of the wires into the HMI unit - no change
- Disconnected the battery - no change
- I checked the fuses on the passenger side (#20, #29) they are good - used a meter.
- Battery is about 1 year old so it shouldn't be an issue.
- 1 week later the unit started working for a few weeks and then went black again.
- Pulled out the HMI to find another used one online but the one they sent me wasn't correct and didn't have the antenna plug. When everything else was plugged in there was nothing on the radio display so I am not sure if the HMI unit was incompatible or if the radio display was bad. Returned the HMI.
- Someone thought it was the radio unit so I got a used one from online and installed it but no change. Still black and can still listen to music just a black screen and no back-up camera.
- I ordered one of the "Tesla" style screens from Phoenix Automotive but they didn't package it very well and it arrived damaged so I had to return it and fighting to get a refund.
- I tried again today to disconnect the battery, waited 15 mins, and reconnected but nothing.

I'm at a loss. Obviously the warranty is expired and I have read so many stories from others having similar issues but I can't figure this out.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019