2017 Tahoe Premier/Getting GM to warranty something that is past deadline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JumboShrimp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All. Long time lurker here.
I have a 17 Tahoe Premier that I thought had an exhaust leak. It has been ticking for a while. Car has 69K on the clock. 'Upon Further Review' It seems to be the well known Lifter issue. My Power Train warranty expires at the end of this month and I am a little over on the miles. I've have had issues with the Smooth Road Rumble (Chevy Shake) when it was new and it finally got fixed after MANY trips to dealers. Only after a Field Service Rep got involved did that get done right. Other than that - really like the car and it is my 6th big Chevy SUV (Tahoe / Suburban). Now I get THIS problem and I want GM to take care of it. I was 1" from Lemon Law if the Shake didn't get fixed so, it has a 'history'.

This week I had it to a local dealer for a Diag. Service about the Valve Train Noise. I wanted it documented before the PT Warranty expired. They removed all the rockers to check for bent push rods - found none. Then they wanted to pull the head to 'further invetigate'. I refused because - 1. they didn't have the parts to fix it. 2. They might as well do the repair if the head is off. 3. Who knows how long it would sit there Headless till parts showed up. (Tech told me he just got parts for something else that he's been waiting 2 moonths for!)

What is the best procedure to contact GM's 'Good Will' department and plead my case. Does anyone have any experience with them - any pointers or right / wrong ways to approach it? Is it best to call or Email? Both?

Thanks for any help

lbenson

Reaction score
Keep us updated on the lifter situation and the result of the repairs. My 18 Denali is sitting in a dealer as of Monday with 80k on it waiting for it to be torn apart, diagnosed, and repaired. Tech says it is a lifter ticking (we initially thought it was exhaust manifold leak), but he has 3 trucks in front of mine yet to be worked on, so I won't know exactly until at least the end of next week. I have a good relationship with my dealer and thankfully my service advisor is going to bat for me with the lifetime powertrain warranty, fingers crossed this is all free to me.

Unfortunately parts have been hit or miss this year. Some can get in right away, others 1-2 months. Just the nature of today's world.

No experience with the 'Good Will' department at GM but interested to learn more if you learn anything.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a few examples, but I'm not sure how well the first one compares to the overall cost of the lifter problem.

On my 2017 GMC Acadia the AC went out at 38k miles just outside of the 36k warranty. I asked the dealer to see if GM would cover it as it was just outside of my warranty window and they ate the cost of the labor and had me pay for parts which was better than nothing I thought. The bill was still $1,300 but that was a lot less than the $2,400 they originally quoted me. Sadly the issue was related to a hole in the rear AC evaporator core...which is a well-known issue on the AcadiaForum message board. Maybe GM was kind enough to cover some of it due to it being a widespread problem similar to the lovely lifter issue???

On my '21 Tahoe after less than 2 weeks of owning it with 480 miles on the odometer I had tire go bad...photos of it looked like it was cut down by something on the highway, but I still wonder if it was related to the car carrier or something in the shop of the dealer as I had it in earlier that day to get splash guards installed. The dealer ran it through their goodwill thing as there's no road hazard on the tires that came with the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevensavino