2017 Tahoe LT Failed to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan17

Reaction score
After driving for an hour I parked to go into a store and when I came out the Tahoe would not start. The lights, dash appeared to light up just fine and the radio worked as well, I'll also say there are no error codes or check engine light lit.

When I turned the key I would hear the starter click once then nothing. I pulled the key out and reinserted the key to start it and the starter just clicked once so I repeated this five more time and it finally started like normal on the fifth try.

Does this sound like a bad connection at the starter or maybe even the battery?

George100

Reaction score
I would look at the battery too, you have a 17 and its sad to say but you are coming due for one as they dont last. If it not the battery then look at the security system with the key and then do a deep csi on the scan to check your modules. My money though is the battery is getting weak.

OP
OP
Dan17

Dan17

Reaction score
I just put the scanner on it and I'm reading a P0615-00 and a P017-00.

George100

Reaction score
The P615 is a starter circuit and the P17-B0 which is what i think you have put there is transmission range module circuit low. So the scan is pointing to a problem with the starting system and the range selector. The FSM says to try starting in Neutral first as the BCM is getting the information that something is wrong is park. You will need to get either Alldata or a FSM to get you closer or last option the Dealership

OP
OP
Dan17

Dan17

Reaction score
Sorry, I missed the type-o. That should have been P617-00. Stater Relay Control Circuit High Voltage.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm thinking the two codes could have been generated by a weak battery.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If battery is good start looking at the cables from the battery. I seen some posts stating they lose resistance and the vehicle won’t start. There is a YouTube video as well on how to check them with a meter and cracking the engine without starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George100

Reaction score
Ok, for 617 code that is short to voltage in the control circuit. The starter Relay is KR27. Check for the Battery, cables and if nothing there then you will need to look at the starter and its associated connections although after 4 years it would seen unlikely. A short sub to alldata would go along way to helping you with the diagnostic tree for these two codes if the battery does not turn out to be the culprit.

OP
OP
Dan17

Dan17

Reaction score
I've had the truck for a week and have spoken to the dealer where I bought it. They said they would take a look at it and correct it. Even though I put a new battery in it it may still be worth letting them see why it happened instead of waiting to see if the battery corrected it.

I can tell the truck starts stronger with the new battery so maybe the battery was to weak.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan17

Dan17

Reaction score
Well. yesterday afternoon after numerous starts and running erring's around town the truck acted up and wont not start again. The problem is not the battery or the relay as a new relay made no difference.
The truck is now with the dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Purolator

Latest posts