2017 Tahoe/ICT Valley Cover has no PCV port, how do I run the PCV now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snives

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm nearly done with my AFM/DOD delete on a 2017 Tahoe. I've elected to replace the VLOM with the ICT Billet valley cover (essentially a VLOM delete), and the optional oil pressure mount. I noticed the PCV line from the VLOM is absent on the ICT Billet valley cover. So where do I connect the PCV line from the intake manifold to now? How do I establish the correct crank case ventilation now?

Has anyone done this before? Please chime in.

Thanks

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm nearly done with my AFM/DOD delete on a 2017 Tahoe. I've elected to replace the VLOM with the ICT Billet valley cover (essentially a VLOM delete), and the optional oil pressure mount. I noticed the PCV line from the VLOM is absent on the ICT Billet valley cover. So where do I connect the PCV line from the intake manifold to now? How do I establish the correct crank case ventilation now?

Thanks
Do you mean valve cover? There is no PCV port on the valley cover. Only an oil pressure sensor port.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a PCV port on the VLOM.

I would call and ask because I can’t imagine deleting the PCV system is good but I can’t see any way to keep it based on the picture of the plate on their web site.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks
You posted this in the 2007-2014 section. Let’s see if we can get this moved to the right section for your 2017.

@Miami-Dade @soulsea @Fless @07Burb, can one of you help?

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks
Moved you here.

Welcome from Miami!

OP
OP
snives

snives

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is a PCV port on the VLOM.

I would call and ask because I can’t imagine deleting the PCV system is good but I can’t see any way to keep it based on the picture of the plate on their web site.
I emailed ICT Billet and had a few exchanges with their tech support. He said "We recommend two things, you can either splice it into another port or you can block it off it is not a required."

Can anyone understand what that means?

I interpret that as saying, you can route the intake manifold side of the PCV line to another port on the engine. Although I don't know where that would be as I don't have any other ports, other than ones on the valve covers. But those are the clean side of the PCV system which are supposed to draw IN fresh/metered air into the crankcase. So if I use one valve cover port for in, and the other for out that could work, although I am unsure of the health of that rocker area with moist dirty oil getting sucked into it all the time. I.e. would that cause a buildup of sludge in that rocker cover as the air/oil aerosol condenses on the cool rocker covers?

The alternative they suggest is that you don't need a PCV system, which sounds highly dubious.

Anyone been in this boat before? thanks

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I emailed ICT Billet and had a few exchanges with their tech support. He said "We recommend two things, you can either splice it into another port or you can block it off it is not a required."

Can anyone understand what that means?

I interpret that as saying, you can route the intake manifold side of the PCV line to another port on the engine. Although I don't know where that would be as I don't have any other ports, other than ones on the valve covers. But those are the clean side of the PCV system which are supposed to draw IN fresh/metered air into the crankcase. So if I use one valve cover port for in, and the other for out that could work, although I am unsure of the health of that rocker area with moist dirty oil getting sucked into it all the time. I.e. would that cause a buildup of sludge in that rocker cover as the air/oil aerosol condenses on the cool rocker covers?

The alternative they suggest is that you don't need a PCV system, which sounds highly dubious.

Anyone been in this boat before? thanks
I don't know about the newer generation motors, but on every other motor I have worked on, the PCV is to draw air/vapors/gases out of the crankcase by means of vacuum generated in the intake manifold, not put air into the crank case. This is typically done by means of a PCV valve/port on the valve cover connected to the intake manifold. That being said, I am not seeing how having a PCV on the VLOM does anything anyways, but again, I am not familiar with the 2017 generation of units.

OP
OP
snives

snives

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know about the newer generation motors, but on every other motor I have worked on, the PCV is to draw air/vapors/gases out of the crankcase by means of vacuum generated in the intake manifold, not put air into the crank case. This is typically done by means of a PCV valve/port on the valve cover connected to the intake manifold. That being said, I am not seeing how having a PCV on the VLOM does anything anyways, but again, I am not familiar with the 2017 generation of units.
My understanding is that on the Gen V LT motors there is fresh metered air from the air box connected to the valve/rocker covers. This is atmospheric pressure at idle. The heads have a passageway into the crank case where oil returns down to the pan, thus it's connected to the crank case. The PCV is located on the valley cover, which houses a check valve, to ensure the flow of air is always outwards (from crank case out). This PCV is connected to the intake manifold, which is under vacuum at idle. This means the flow of air at idle ultimately draws fresh metered air from the airbox, through both rocker covers, into the crank case, and past the PCV check valve and into the intake manifold. The reason why this does not affect the idle is because that air was already metered from the MAF, it's accounted for.

At WOT the airbox and intake manifold are roughly the same pressure (atmospheric) and blow by gasses are free to flow out of all three ports, which is how oil sometimes gets into the stock air box, but when you return to idle the oily residue in the air box and lines then gets drawn back down into the rocker covers and back into the pan because the PCV in the valley cover is drawing air using manifold vacuum. Please feel free to correct me if I am missing something.

So I am beginning to lean more towards reversing the flow of the drivers side rocker cover and use that as a PVC, though I will probably need to restrict that hose down to the size of the stock PCV line.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you say so, but I'm not buying it.
Every pvc system I know of uses intake vacuum to pull gasses "from" the crankcase only.
Metered leak(s) "into" the crankcase? What would be the point of that?

OP
OP
snives

snives

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To dry the oil because it's a flex fuel vehicle. And the ECM uses torque tables which are very sensitive to unmetered air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan