2017 Tahoe 5.3 - Tranny, Diff and Transfer Case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan17

Reaction score
My Tahoe is the 4 wheel drive 6 speed auto and I want to replace the fluids and filter so my questions is, how can I identify what tranny is in it and what differentials and transfer case it has? Are there tags on each component?

OP
OP
Dan17

Dan17

Reaction score
One last question. I've looked thru my owners manual and my Haynes service manual and I don't see any mention about Rear Axle Lubricant or Gear Oil Additive which I believe is needed for Limited Slip rear ends.

Is this needed for this vehicle when changing the rear diff fluid? It is listed on the RockAuto web site.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The chart above, supplied by @Jeff_, lists the lubricant you should use for the rear axle. You do not need the additive you speak of.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One last question. I've looked thru my owners manual and my Haynes service manual and I don't see any mention about Rear Axle Lubricant or Gear Oil Additive which I believe is needed for Limited Slip rear ends.

Is this needed for this vehicle when changing the rear diff fluid? It is listed on the RockAuto web site.
Your rear axle is a Salisbury 12-bolt 9.5" axle produced by AAM. It does not require any additives. The front axle is a Saginaw 8.25" IFS also made by AAM, the transfer case was produced by MagnaPower and is either an MP3010 (single speed - RPO NP0) or the MP3023 (2-speed - RPO NQH).

Consider "flipping the pill" on the 6L80 transmission to make it last longer. They have a shorter life in your car than our older ones presumably because GM put a thermostat in them to keep the temperatures up to what the coolant is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boom313