2017 Tahoe..45K MILES - To Flush or Not to Flush Trans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advice needed, my friend who works as a Ford service manager said the fluids are designed to last 100,000 miles, and after 100,000 miles I would run the risk of knocking some debris loose and destroying the trans. Its a 2017 6 speed 4x4.

With 45k miles, I would have 15k left on the powertrain warranty, which I think is plenty of miles to test it to see if the trans is going to grenade.

Should I go for it so I am starting fresh? Any other fluids at this point to do? Differential, brake, radiator, (4x4 but hardly ever use it unless its pouring down rain, then I use AWD)

Truck is running PERFECTLY right now, so I am between doing it, and also stuck mentally with "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

All replies are appreciated!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Too many people follow the "regular" maintenance schedule in the owner's manual when they should be following the "severe" maintenance schedule, or whatever they call it now days. The vast majority of vehicles qualify for severe schedule. If it calls for 100k intervals for fluids, I myself do it at 50k. When the fluids and mileage are as new as they are in your rig, IMO, that is the time for the flush of the trans fluid and filter change. A complete trans fluid change instead of a 50% change. Others here will chime in with their opinion but I stand by what I have said and what I have experienced in my shops when I saw the results of people putting the maintenance off when they said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". My dad said, "maintenance pays and breakdowns cost". You know what maintenance costs are in advance but you don't with repairs after breakdowns or problems. Do all the fluids, again IMO, and I am talking axles, transfer case, coolant, brake fluid....etc. Take the guess work out of it and KNOW when you did it all. Ever see a performance vehicle in competition wait for problems to do their fluids? I know this is every day driving compared to, "go fast, turn left" but I love knowing that what I drive can, in a minute's notice, start and drive to the other coast and I know it is in tip top shape.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat - been debating doing a trans flush. I think I may just do it. About to turn 40k on the clock so well worth it in my opinion.

OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever experience trans issues AFTER the flush/fluid change?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, if the intervals in the manual say 100k, do it at 50k. If the intervals are whatever for each fluid, cut it in half.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Anyone ever experience trans issues AFTER the flush/fluid change?

Over the years, I have only heard of problems when the fluids are way old. That is why your tech friend said at 100k you could have problems with the trans. I have also read here where a few members have said that story is bunk. It could well be but I change fluids at my quicker intervals for my own reasons based on what I said about owner's manual intervals for normal or severe intervals.

The story about the trans debris causing problems on a flush at that age of fluid, has been around for years and is still out there. I am assuming that certain years of trans can have more problems than others but I always err to the side of caution.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I think if you tow anything on a somewhat regular basis you should be changing fluids and filters more often. If you drive mostly in town or in stop and go traffic you should be too. I feel there should be a level of readiness with your vehicle in case you need to pull something that pushes the GVWR or go on an extended trip. You don't want to be at almost 100K on the tranny filter in the middle of July. Be ready...

For instance 4k on oil in an engine that is run on the hi-way 90% of the time is much different that 4K in town and stop and go. Same with all the other fluids.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad to see someone actually concerned about doing the trans service. still a big forgotten service interval. ill keep my comments to garage specific tho. as far as getting a "flush" done be cautious when this service is requested. there are still plenty of shops that consider a flush as dumping a bunch of aggressive cleaners into your transmission. a basic fluid filter change would get alot of people by just fine. flushing clean fluid through the transmission until the fluid all comes out clean for a 100% fluid change is the best way. aggressive flushes can definitely have negative impacts and should only be done as a last resort when your at the point of a possible trans rebuild. granted your still only looking at a 25-50% chance of saving a trans at that point anyway.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do it. At 35,000 miles I'm already itching to do something with the differentials, transfer case, and transmission. Who knows if something blows up it might be in your favor that you serviced it. I'm not sure how that works but do they warranty things that haven't been routinely serviced? I would assume a warranty would say that the cause of failure was owner's neglect as usual.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Whoever services the warranty are just like insurance companies. They are looking for ANY WAY to no warranty or insure what your claim is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE