2016 Yukon XL Denali Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im having a problem with my Denali and before I take it to the dealer I wanted to check with the experts here. If I turn to the right and get on it (make an a aggressive right turn) the tires chirp a little..... once the turn is complete it is like my rear diff is locked. Whenever I make a turn the tires screetch and the turn is real rough and jerky. Almost like it is in 4wd. After 5 minutes or so it clunks very loud and everything is ok.... the truck selector is in 2wd when this happens. Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does it all the time? Maybe you hit it by mistake with your knee and it went into 4wd. What is doing is normal If you are using the 4wd. What I usually do is I back up a few feet and turn to 2wd to make sure it disengage the 4wd.

OP
OP
M

Mikef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. Not all the time. It has done it 3 times. Once unplanned a few days ago. I turned right into traffic and got on the gas around the corner. Tire chirped and then the rear wheels were locked up for 5 mintues or so.... Until it clunks and goes back to normal. It has done it two more times when I purposely turn right and got on it to see if it would do it again and it did. It will do it everytime I turn and get on the gas. Definatley not in 4wd. Just 2wd.

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That happend to me on 2007 and the service the 4wd warming will come up.
I think some mentioned an update for the transfer case ??? Don't know if that's yorce problem. Sorry man.

OP
OP
M

Mikef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would actually be great if it was a update. I'm worried they are going to have to tear the rear diff apart.

ssingh1975

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have u tried leaving the mode selector to "AUTO" instead of "2W"?

We have a 2017 and been driving in auto mode and haven't encountered what you described.

OP
OP
M

Mikef

Full Access Member
Reaction score

We have a 2017 and been driving in auto mode and haven't encountered what you described.

I have always driven in 2wd. But last week I was driving in the snow so I put it in Auto for about 30 minutes. I kind of feel like that's when it's all started. I have never used auto before that. Also when it was in auto there was a humming noise. It sounds like the gears humming.

68 Grand

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
AUTO is noticeably louder than 2WD on our 2015i Tahoe. But we haven't experienced anything like you describe.

4MRAV8R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2016 Tahoe LTZ did that once. I cycled through Auto to 4wd and back to 2wd and it never did it again. I left it in each mode for a couple of minutes while driving at about 30mph. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts