2016 Yukon Tailgate “says” it’s open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteveDault

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for some assistance. My lift gate opens and closes properly as it should. However, the warning light says it is open when it’s not. This causes all the interior lights to stay on while driving. Any ideas on the cause?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH. Pics, please.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

I suspect that it may be a sensor that validates that the door latch mechanism has fully engaged in the closing operation and verifies its final position.

Other folks more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in with their thoughts.

@swathdiver @PNW VietVet @Galante @iamdub @Tonyrodz @Doubeleive @wjburken

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for some assistance. My lift gate opens and closes properly as it should. However, the warning light says it is open when it’s not. This causes all the interior lights to stay on while driving. Any ideas on the cause?
does it do this always? or only if opened with the button versus manually opened and closed? I assume you have tried to manually open/close to be sure it is indeed closed? does the message go away if you cycle the key? does it also give the beep warning or just a message in the dic?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just like the old door jam switch for the doors that then went to the latch itself for the sensor mount, this could have a faulty switch at that latch. Since I retired from the shop work before this rig was built I never had one of these in my shops. But I learned here that the switch changed positions for the doors and now may be the culprit for the lift gate. That is my best guess unless there are other sensors that are mounted elsewhere back there.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like the old door jam switch for the doors that then went to the latch itself for the sensor mount, this could have a faulty switch at that latch. Since I retired from the shop work before this rig was built I never had one of these in my shops. But I learned here that the switch changed positions for the doors and now may be the culprit for the lift gate. That is my best guess unless there are other sensors that are mounted elsewhere back there.
since at least 07 the sensors are part of the actuator now as far as I know

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would have to defer to your knowledge on this. I would have to do the research to know for sure but the members here that own the newer rigs will know better than me for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645