2016 Suburban - Remote Start - Rear Climate Control Doesn't Come On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seadoons

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to the forum but not new to GM products. We recently purchased a new 2016 suburban. It is over 100 here in houston most days so the remote start feature is a nice one...at least it is supposed to be. What is the trick to getting the rear climate control to come on while the vehicle is running under remote start mode? I've tried numerous different ways messing with it but haven't had any luck. The front climate control comes on; not the rear. Loading up kids in a hot car isn't ideal.

Our 2008 GMC yukon, when running on "remote start mode", would have both the front and rear AC blowing at full blast regardless of what settings it was left on when you turned the vehicle off the previous time. Help!

I don't want to take it to the dealer for this...

OP
OP
S

seadoons

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh - if you are reading this and have a tahoe/yukon/suburban with remote start - would you mind trying yours out to see if the rear air blows when you remote start it? Mine doesn't blow AT ALL...just curious if this is by design or something is wrong with mine. Thanks!

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in agreement with you...I don't think my rear air activates until I put the key in the switch....but I will double check.

I've got another issue with using ON Star as the remote start. Mine doesn't run A/C through the dash vents...but thru the defroster vents until I enter the car and turn the switch on. I called GM Customer Service...they said it's an ON Star issue...ON Star says it's a vehicle issue. He said...she said !!!

Any thoughts or experience with this ?

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rear air wont blow until, actually started. :(

i tried that b4 i left lot when i bought mine. sales guy thought it should work, but he called GM techline & they said no.

i just crank the air up when i get out. so when i do remote start it..it cools down a bit... plus i went dark on tint

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, remote start will not get the rear A/C flowing, only up front. Definitely an oversight on GM's part.

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK...confirmed...my rear is inactive until key is in on position.

I spoke to an alarm/stereo geek at Best Buy I have used in the past about this. He told me he has put up graded Viper set ups in 16 Escalades and Denalis that makes it work front and rear. It also has an option to open all 4 side windows...$400 installed.

So I asked if anyone had re-programed a factory module to include rear air with remote start. Now I've thrown down a challenge to the geeks...if anyone can figure it out,,,they will !! LOL Stay tuned....

OP
OP
S

seadoons

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Folks, I appreciate all of your responses. I also reached out to my salesperson, who in turn reached out to the service department, and they confirmed all of the statements above as corect. The rear air will not come on until the vehicle is started. The front air comes on, just not the rear. WHY??!? It makes NO sense. My 2008 yukon does it, why not my 2016 suburban? It begs the question - what is the point of remote-starting it if the thing isn't actively cooling the cabin while running?

To the point above, this must strictly be a programming thing. Meaning a simple programming change could make this work as desired. I'd prefer to not install an aftermarket alarm system. How does one reprogram a factory module??

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the point -- lol, GM being dumb & not listening to their customers

would be nice to find someone who can reprogram the BCM & see what can be updated

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I asked if anyone had re-programed a factory module to include rear air with remote start. Now I've thrown down a challenge to the geeks...if anyone can figure it out,,,they will !! LOL Stay tuned....

Folks, I appreciate all of your responses. I also reached out to my salesperson, who in turn reached out to the service department, and they confirmed all of the statements above as corect. The rear air will not come on until the vehicle is started. The front air comes on, just not the rear. WHY??!? It makes NO sense. My 2008 yukon does it, why not my 2016 suburban? It begs the question - what is the point of remote-starting it if the thing isn't actively cooling the cabin while running?

To the point above, this must strictly be a programming thing. Meaning a simple programming change could make this work as desired. I'd prefer to not install an aftermarket alarm system. How does one reprogram a factory module??

I agree.Working on it....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645