2015 Yukon Denali XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IEATZ28

Reaction score
Hey peeps, I’m looking at possibly purchasing a 2015 Yukon Denali XL. It has 130k miles on the clock. The seller told me that about 6k miles ago he replaced the cam, lifters, VLOM, etc. He went back with all stock parts and had a shop do the work. My question is why would someone choose to go back stock instead of deleting the DOD? I can’t understand going to that much expense and not getting rid of the problematic AFM system. Maybe there is something I don’t know. Help!

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would ask for some documentation and some receipts with the exact parts that were installed/replaced.

You have to remember not every GM full-size SUV owner participates on a forum or are even aware of the faults of the AFM system and what it even does. All they know is “yeah mine has that feature that switches to 4 cylinder mode and it helps my MPGs”. Some shop could have just said this is what’s wrong because of a lifter failure and this is what needs to be replaced to get it back up and running and without question some, dare I say most, will just be like “ok get it done.”

Does it have the 6 speed or 8 speed transmission?

OP
OP
I

IEATZ28

Reaction score
I would ask for some documentation and some receipts with the exact parts that were installed/replaced.

You have to remember not every GM full-size SUV owner participates on a forum or are even aware of the faults of the AFM system and what it even does. All they know is “yeah mine has that feature that switches to 4 cylinder mode and it helps my MPGs”. Some shop could have just said this is what’s wrong because of a lifter failure and this is what needs to be replaced to get it back up and running and without question some, dare I say most, will just be like “ok get it done.”

Does it have the 6 speed or 8 speed transmission?
I’m not sure on the tranny. I’m assuming since it has the 6.2 it has the 8 speed.

OP
OP
I

IEATZ28

Reaction score
I guess since the repair only has 6k miles on it I could just slap a disabler module on it and call it a day. I’ll definitely be asking for receipts for the repair though.

OP
OP
I

IEATZ28

Reaction score
The more I converse with this guy over FB messenger the more I see that he really doesn’t know what he’s talking about. He said the dealer told him these engines have the wrong “cams” in them. Sounds like he has been fed a line from someone else.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey peeps, I’m looking at possibly purchasing a 2015 Yukon Denali XL. It has 130k miles on the clock. The seller told me that about 6k miles ago he replaced the cam, lifters, VLOM, etc. He went back with all stock parts and had a shop do the work. My question is why would someone choose to go back stock instead of deleting the DOD? I can’t understand going to that much expense and not getting rid of the problematic AFM system. Maybe there is something I don’t know. Help!
i am always skeptical of internal engine work myself and why it was done.
have you gone and looked at it? when you do ask for the service records and see what the paperwork say's, if it was done by a dealer it will have the reported issue, diagnosis and what was replaced.
besides it is a 2015 check everything, you will be lucky if "everything" works, if everything does not work then factor that into any negotiations.
depending on the trim level there are a lot of things to check.
common problems are things like
rear hatch operation & glass
sunroof
window switches and door locks
mirrors
seats heat-cool-adjusting-folding
backup sensors
lighting
displays (RSE)
hud
pedals
tpms
then of course fluids, pull the transmission dipstick and check the fluid color, if it is brown (no pink) I would walk away
if it has no transmission dipstick then it is the 8 speed and that is a another issue
just some pointers when shopping used, people tend to get rid of vehicles when they know it will need some money put into it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is why would someone choose to go back stock instead of deleting the DOD?
Never forget this saying: the confused mind says no. If people are ignorant about something, they will say no to change.

A dealership will not, cannot, delete AFM. AFM in those generations is very reliable and often lasts the life of the engine. It's when people start using the wrong oils and delaying oil changes that problems begin to arise.

OP
OP
I

IEATZ28

Reaction score
I think I misspoke. The work was done at a local shop, not a dealer. The main reason I was even considering this was because I thought the DOD had been deleted. He’s asking $23k so it seems like a good price, but I don’t think I’m going to look at it any further because my gut is telling me to walk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10