2015 Yukon Denali - Cleaned throttle body today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Sharing some pics of cleaning my throttle body at 140k. I have never cleaned it before(on this truck) and was a bit apprehensive after reading so many say they had issues after doing so - high idle/ unable to get it to relearn…..I had no issues.

I bought a new TB gasket, and went for it….

1 First disconnected neg battery cable.
2 Removed intake cowling .
3 Disconnected ETB connector.
4 Removed 4 10mm bolts for TB
5 Cleaned plate and body with soft towel and TB cleaner- yes I did gently move the butterfly plate to get all surfaces.

It was dirty, but not awful. When I hooked it all back up an and started it, it idled normally and drove fine.

Maybe some are really aggressively moving the plate open and closed or getting cleaner in the pivot pin area/ electronics inside?

Attachments

• IMG_3642.jpeg
    IMG_3642.jpeg
    380.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3638.jpeg
    IMG_3638.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3645.jpeg
    IMG_3645.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3646.jpeg
    IMG_3646.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 5

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I clean mine probably every 3-4 months and have for years on all of my vehicles never once had any issue, no need to disconnect the battery, with key off there is no power going to the tb
I think it is best practice to disconnect the battery. I cleaned the throttle body on a 2003 Toyota Camry many years ago without disconnecting the battery and the idle was way off (idling way too high while in gear!) when I was finished until I reset it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is best practice to disconnect the battery. I cleaned the throttle body on a 2003 Toyota Camry many years ago without disconnecting the battery and the idle was way off (idling way too high while in gear!) when I was finished until I reset it.
the perfect anology of why we can't do anything anymore. one thing happens and now there is a law that say's we can't do it anymore
95% of the time the reason instructions or manuals say "disconnect the battery" first is not because what you are working on is electrified, it's so that you don't "accidently" touch something else that is during the process and cause a problem. so in that sense yes it is a good practice, but not necessarily required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
03yukonxldenali