2015 Yukon 6.2-Listen to this noise- dealer says $5k for new TX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JerradT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
does it do that if you put trans in manual mode (manual mode prevents from switching back & forth to 4cyl mode)
when we first bought our 15' suburban with 5.3 it would have intermittent shuddering while driving on the highway. turns out it was the exhaust valve near the muffler that opens & closes when it goes into 4cyl mode. it has a spot where it can be blocked permanently open for test purposes. luckily the dealer we bought it from replaced the exhaust for us since we noticed the issue right away. not for sure if the 6.2 has the same style exhaust system with the valve but if it does may check that out.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not dropped the pan yet, likely this week.
No modifications to the engine or transmission, all stock.
The dealer tech only drove it a few miles, I don’t know if they put an real effort into diagnosing it. It’s likely they deemed it a torque converter since they fail at a high rate and just said ‘new trans’.
Local trans guy initially said torque converter but after a test drive, he hadn’t heard this issue before. He thought possible electronic issue in valve body.

The pan will tell us a lot. There are a few odd clunks other than the trans it could be but im going to guess thats what it is for now.

Clutch pack is my UNEDUCATED GUESS....but a rebuild SB about 3200$

Performance rebuild is very little more for much better build than stock. TK Performance is who built mine. I give them credit for being quick and answering their phone and offering advice. https://www.tkperformanceandauto.com/products/6l80e-tkr-transmission

does it do that if you put trans in manual mode (manual mode prevents from switching back & forth to 4cyl mode)
when we first bought our 15' suburban with 5.3 it would have intermittent shuddering while driving on the highway. turns out it was the exhaust valve near the muffler that opens & closes when it goes into 4cyl mode. it has a spot where it can be blocked permanently open for test purposes. luckily the dealer we bought it from replaced the exhaust for us since we noticed the issue right away. not for sure if the 6.2 has the same style exhaust system with the valve but if it does may check that out.

This is another possibility as well to look at.

OP
OP

07denaliyuk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dropped the pan.
- oil has a strong burnt smell to it.
- small amount metal flit around the magnet

I’ll replace the filter and refill with new tx oil and see if there’s an improvement.

Damn you GM for making me drop the exhaust to drop the pan.

a2921d9d7540d988808bf1990aec99c4.jpg
d5e734aa9bfb28b871ff55e91f75bc1b.jpg

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like your on the early signs of a trans failure. You will likely get more out of it but be prepared to rebuild/replace it. No yellow metals so im guessing clutch and steels.

Also the exhaust drop for the trans service is BS lmao. I hate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
payneml