2015 Tahoe Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bgsntth

Reaction score
Ordered a Silver & Black Z71 w/ Luxury, Sun\Ent, cross-bars, and Borla cat-back. I will be adding weathertech liners and 275/65-18 Michelin AT2's.

Was planning on getting a Land Rover LR5, but confirmed it was not going to arrive until 2017. I need a real third-row SUV with competent offroad capability - mainly very steep ascent/descents on grass/gravel slopes. Hoping the Z71 fulfills need. I am a little concerned it will be a little big for the tight spots.

Wife through a complete hissy fit at the 18" athracite wheels. She wants 22" wheels. She also objected to the stiffer ride of the Z71. Noticeably more composed than the Yukon XL we rented for two weeks, but the ride felt more controlled to me. My truck - my wheels.

bgsntth

Reaction score
It is a 2015. Multiple dealers said that I could not order a 2016 until the Fall. I need it now, so could not wait.

I am going to hold-off on the lift, and wait to see if the truck can go where I need it too without scraping. First SUV I have had without an air suspension since my 2000 Grand Cherokee.

Last edited:

73Vetteman

Reaction score
I should have ordered a Z71?

Ha, very true. I'm just bummed the Z71 doesn't have brake controller. It gets the 3.42 gears, which is why I thought it had max towing. Doh!

The "build your own" website shows an optional Curt brand (aftermarket) brake controller that you can now order with your vehicle or buy later. It has the correct wire harness to plug into your vehicle.

I ordered my 2015 LT with max trailer option and the ride was way too stiff for me.

In hindsight I wish I had ordered the Z71 for the looks, suspension, and 3.42 axle then just added the brake controller.

I ended up adding the Z71 grill, 20" LTZ chromes, HID's, chrome mirror covers, and chrome side moldings to dress up my LT and most importantly changed to Escalade springs.

Information and part numbers for the HID's and Spring Change are on the Tahoe Forum under my same username.

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "build your own" website shows an optional Curt brand (aftermarket) brake controller that you can now order with your vehicle or buy later. It has the correct wire harness to plug into your vehicle.

I ordered my 2015 LT with max trailer option and the ride was way too stiff for me.

In hindsight I wish I had ordered the Z71 for the looks, suspension, and 3.42 axle then just added the brake controller.

I ended up adding the Z71 grill, 20" LTZ chromes, HID's, chrome mirror covers, and chrome side moldings to dress up my LT and most importantly changed to Escalade springs.

Information and part numbers for the HID's and Spring Change are on the Tahoe Forum under my same username.

I'm not an expert, but I do have a little feedback from my limited experience. My last truck was a Z71, and it you are towing something that has trailer brakes, the Z71 suspension does not inspire confidence. It's a pretty squishy feel compared to the towing suspension, and can be a little unnerving sometimes. I have a 6k pound trailer that I tow, and going from the Z71 to the towing package made a massive difference. If you're just towing a motorcycle or jet ski, you can tow that with anything, including my wife's Honda Odyssey minivan. If you're towing 5-8k pounds, you won't want the Z71 for that.

Also, I can't assure you this is the case in the current generation (mine has the integrated brake) but in the previous generation, there was no trailer brake controller harness, it was simply "prewired" with bare wires. You reached up under the dash, cut loose a bundle of wires, then spliced in the brake controller. There were also some connections you needed to make under the hood. It wasn't hard, but it wasn't as simple as plugging something in to the harness. They have great videos of how to do it on etrailer.com, but the last time I looked, I didn't see one for the 2015 GM models.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but I do have a little feedback from my limited experience. My last truck was a Z71, and it you are towing something that has trailer brakes, the Z71 suspension does not inspire confidence. It's a pretty squishy feel compared to the towing suspension, and can be a little unnerving sometimes. I have a 6k pound trailer that I tow, and going from the Z71 to the towing package made a massive difference. If you're just towing a motorcycle or jet ski, you can tow that with anything, including my wife's Honda Odyssey minivan. If you're towing 5-8k pounds, you won't want the Z71 for that.

Also, I can't assure you this is the case in the current generation (mine has the integrated brake) but in the previous generation, there was no trailer brake controller harness, it was simply "prewired" with bare wires. You reached up under the dash, cut loose a bundle of wires, then spliced in the brake controller. There were also some connections you needed to make under the hood. It wasn't hard, but it wasn't as simple as plugging something in to the harness. They have great videos of how to do it on etrailer.com, but the last time I looked, I didn't see one for the 2015 GM models.

Here is the 2015 Tahoe "Plug and Play" brake controller for $100 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-16-Tahoe...:2015|Model:Tahoe&hash=item58c4840ea1&vxp=mtr
GM part ## 19330154 Other brands are also available.

I ordered my 2015 LT with max trailer pack as previously mentioned. I changed to Escalade springs due to the harsh ride. I assume those are softer than Z71 springs. I pulled my car trailer loaded with my 4200# 1969 GTO Judge on it and pulled a 5800# 26' travel trailer (weight distribution hitch) with confidence. If you find the Z71 springs are too soft I will sell you my max trailer springs cheap.

73Vetteman

Reaction score

This is an Ebay add for a 2015 plug and play controller with harness:
GM part #19330154 also available at dealers
http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-16-Tahoe...:2015|Model:Tahoe&hash=item58c4840ea1&vxp=mtr

73Vetteman

Reaction score
Electric Brake Kit Available.

Ha, very true. I'm just bummed the Z71 doesn't have brake controller. It gets the 3.42 gears, which is why I thought it had max towing. Doh!

GM has a Trailer brake package that is plug and play for the 2015-2016 Tahoe. It is made for them by Curt manufacturing and is available from Curt as well as GM. The package includes the harness, controller and mounting bracket. Part #19330154 costs about $100 on Ebay or Amazon.

GM also offers a harness with pigtails for use of a different controller of your choice. Part number 23184088 costs about $18 on Ebay or Amazon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts