2015 Tahoe - P0306 and truck shaking badly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas to all!

Creeping through a local neighborhood light show last night when all of a sudden the engine started running extremely rough. Truck was shaking and jerking and felt like it was gonna shut off. CEL eventually started flashing and traction control light came on. We were able to limp home around 35Mph. Every now and then we had to go uphill and it actually smoothed out a little when giving it more gas.
Got home and left it running in the driveway to go get my code reader. In that short amount of time, the CEL turned off but the truck still sounded like crap and was shaking. Only thing I could find with the reader was a pending P0306 code, misfire in cylinder 6.
I'm sitting here trying to enjoy Christmas with my kids, but dreading going to check things out. We're supposed to go out of town on Tuesday.
What do I need to look at first? I've read it could be anything from a bad plug to the engine will need to be replaced.

Merry Christmas!!!

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep first thing to do is pull the plug. I go through this every 2 years on my “7 plug.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas to all!

Creeping through a local neighborhood light show last night when all of a sudden the engine started running extremely rough. Truck was shaking and jerking and felt like it was gonna shut off. CEL eventually started flashing and traction control light came on. We were able to limp home around 35Mph. Every now and then we had to go uphill and it actually smoothed out a little when giving it more gas.
Got home and left it running in the driveway to go get my code reader. In that short amount of time, the CEL turned off but the truck still sounded like crap and was shaking. Only thing I could find with the reader was a pending P0306 code, misfire in cylinder 6.
I'm sitting here trying to enjoy Christmas with my kids, but dreading going to check things out. We're supposed to go out of town on Tuesday.
What do I need to look at first? I've read it could be anything from a bad plug to the engine will need to be replaced.

Merry Christmas!!!
What is it with all these gremlins yesterday? I had some too and I've NEVER had a problem with mine. The forums are full of electrical and engine issues from yesterday.

#6 is an AFM cylinder, hope a lifter didn't drop but if it did, it's not an insurmountable repair.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is it with all these gremlins yesterday? I had some too and I've NEVER had a problem with mine. The forums are full of electrical and engine issues from yesterday.

#6 is an AFM cylinder, hope a lifter didn't drop but if it did, it's not an insurmountable repair.
Change of weather perhaps?

OP
OP
B

bdbull

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I hope I'm not too premature in reporting this, but I just went out to take a look and the freaking plug wire was completely disconnected from the coil connection. It was just hanging there by the plug connection. If that isn't a gremlin then I don't know what is.

Reconnected it and it cranked up and sounded fine. Gonna give it a spin around the block, but keeping my fingers crossed that's all that it was.

maxpsi

Reaction score
This just happened to me. I couldn’t see it from up top, but looking through the fender well the plug wire was disconnected from the plug. 4K miles after replacing the lifters, so you know I was thinking DoD again.

Billy B

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got same issue before, it's the faulty or worn-out spark plug coil packs. check it

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's B A N A N A S! I've never had a coil wire just discharge itself. I will go and check the old sled now I guess........tis the season?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz