2015 Tahoe LTZ - intermittent IP freaking out and losing power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjaaam

Reaction score
Hello,

My daughter has a 2015 Tahoe LTZ with around 100k miles that experiences random "freaking out" of the instrument panel - various warning lights come on and the needle gages bounce. On top of that, the power steering goes out. It's been to two different dealers and they cannot duplicate the problem, so we're stabbing in the dark. To me it sounds like a ground problem, but I would think that a dealer would be able to figure that out. Plus, it doesn't throw any codes, which I find to be weird.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Really getting frustrated and would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

OP
OP
J

jjaaam

Reaction score
Bad battery or bad ground is where I would look first.
I should have clarified: battery checks OK and the last dealership we had it to did find a loose ground. It was fine for about three weeks after they worked on it then it started doing the same thing again.

OP
OP
J

jjaaam

Reaction score
Understood it’s probably a bad ground, but here’s more insight. I was driving it today and the issue started. Here were the symptoms:

-All needles on the IP were bouncing except for the battery gage and the fuel gage

-Backlight on the IP would occasionally dim while the needles were bouncing

-Ride was slightly rough, so I’m assuming the electronic shifting was being affected

-Parking brake, ABS, and traction control lights stayed on

-Got error message to service power steering, but it went away and I never actually lost the power steering

-Got several error messages to service the 4WD but they went away on their own

Not sure if any of that would help to narrow down the root cause. We’re taking it back to the dealer next week.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Batteries can check ok but not truly be ok if a cell is dying, how old is the battery, they can cause all kinds of goofy problems, these newer trucks like good batteries.

OP
OP
J

jjaaam

Reaction score
Batteries can check ok but not truly be ok if a cell is dying, how old is the battery, they can cause all kinds of goofy problems, these newer trucks like good batteries.
Worth a shot. But wouldn’t a dealer have the insight to check that out?

But to your point, if it’s possible that a battery can check OK but still really be bad, then I guess swapping it out is worth a try. I tried to see how old it was but with that weird assembly that’s on top of it I couldn’t see any date labels. Looks like I’ll be getting the tools out tomorrow LOL.

Here’s a question though: if the voltage was fluctuating, wouldn’t I see the battery gage needle bouncing when all of the other ones were? I tried to pay particular attention to that and it seemed to stay rock solid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts