2015 Rooftop Cargo box and Factory crossbars?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AMC12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all! COVID has put a serious strain on production of Thule and Yakima crossbars fit kits but I found a factory pair at the dealer (significantly less $$, which is weird). The cargo box was delivered with no problem, and on etrailer.com and specs it looks like the box will fit, but I am curious about anyone's experiences, good or bad, with the Factory Chevy crossbars. I was darn glad to find anything at all as we are moving in 3 weeks and on the road for a few months so really need the extra cargo space. Would love to hear from you all! Thanks!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

I think you should be good with the factory cross bars, but should check them regularly to make sure they don’t loosen up on you.

I have always tried to keep the box as far back as possible without interfering with the lift gate opening.

I have had to put a folded up micro fiber towel on the rear end bottom of our Thule Evolution roof box as it likes to sag and bounce a little going down the highway and having a micro fiber towel Gorilla taped to it as a sort of spacer/bumper, helped a lot on my 2013.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Thule Hyper XL on factory cross rails. No issues so far. I just try to keep the load balanced and centered on the rails as much as possible. I've always been able to open the rear hatch.

As much as I'd like to have the Yakima mounting hardware instead of the factory cross rails, so I could have the bars that are wider than the top. I just can't bring myself to spend the money they want for the after market mounts and everything it takes to make them fit. Over $400....and I already have the round cross bars from a previous setup.

Jon Bautista

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have no problem with my Thule Motion XT XXL on my stock crossbars... even going 90mph...

D5A6BBC9-B1C6-49CC-A60B-A1DA1C7C29B1.jpeg

MVR 155

Reaction score
I've run a Thule Force Alpine with the factory roof bars on my 2015 Yukon Denali (standard wheelbase) for the past 5 years. It's been all over the country with zero issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan