2015 LTZ Upgrade Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mnjeepmale

Reaction score
I just purchased another Tahoe from my '01 LT to '15 Tahoe LTZ. While there are several things I need to learn about this vehicle I have a few questions.

Blind spot detection. When I start the vehicle the blind spot lights show up on the side mirrors for 5 seconds then go off. I think this is expected but when driving the blind spot lights don't go on all the time. Only about 50% of the time when there is a car in my blind spot or driving by. Is there a sensitivity setting?

Can you change the headlights to LED?

Not used to driving E85 gas truck. Not all stations have E85 where I live.

Last edited:

calif phil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new rig, you are going to like it. What issue does E85 pose? You don't have to use it and it should not feel any different even if you do. I would use E85 occasionally in my 2012 and could not tell a difference in the way it ran.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
e85 fuel is optional and is generally a cheaper fuel the caveat is lower mpg's if you use it.
if you google there is a way to re-calibrate the blind spot detection but before you do that be sure the sensors are clean and not covered in dirt or mud they are placed under the left/right side bumper cover just behind the rear wheels and look kind of like a claymore attached to a bracket.
you can upgrade your headlight bulbs, do your research first, I would visit headlight revolutions website they have a lot of useful information

OP
OP
M

mnjeepmale

Reaction score
e85 fuel is optional and is generally a cheaper fuel the caveat is lower mpg's if you use it.
if you google there is a way to re-calibrate the blind spot detection but before you do that be sure the sensors are clean and not covered in dirt or mud they are placed under the left/right side bumper cover just behind the rear wheels and look kind of like a claymore attached to a bracket.
you can upgrade your headlight bulbs, do your research first, I would visit headlight revolutions website they have a lot of useful information

Thanks for the information. So E85 is optional? I usually fill up my other Tahoe with 87 or 91.

The Truck is clean but I'll look closer to see if that area is clean. Otherwise, I will look to see how to re-calibrate the blind spot detection.

I buy my LED headlights from Headlight Revolutions for my other truck and like their website and service. Does this Tahoe have HID? If so, hope it's not much to convert to LED bulbs.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. So E85 is optional? I usually fill up my other Tahoe with 87 or 91.

The Truck is clean but I'll look closer to see if that area is clean. Otherwise, I will look to see how to re-calibrate the blind spot detection.

I buy my LED headlights from Headlight Revolutions for my other truck and like their website and service. Does this Tahoe have HID? If so, hope it's not much to convert to LED bulbs.
the current type of headlights would be listed in your build sheet, if you do not have that you can get it for free from gm customer service thru online chat on the gm website during normal eastern time business hours.
and yes e85 is totally optional, we don't even have it around here where I live not anywhere close enough to even try it out

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased another Tahoe from my '01 LT to '15 Tahoe LTZ. While there are several things I need to learn about this vehicle I have a few questions.

Blind spot detection. When I start the vehicle the blind spot lights show up on the side mirrors for 5 seconds then go off. I think this is expected but when driving the blind spot lights don't go on all the time. Only about 50% of the time when there is a car in my blind spot or driving by. Is there a sensitivity setting?

Can you change the headlights to LED?

Not used to driving E85 gas truck. Not all stations have E85 where I live.

If you run E85 in your 2015, the computer will switch to the high octane tables and your motor will go from 355 horsepower to 380 horsepower and over 400 foot pounds of torque. If you experiment, you may find that the truck gets better mileage and more power while running Unleaded88/E15 alone and or mixed with a few gallons of E85.

On a recent run in my older generation truck, it saw over 19 mpg on the highway, about 1 mpg higher than high octane gasoline while running a mix of ethanol that delivered an alcohol content of 26%. Not sure how those DI would respond but you might experiment if convenient and find out.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the current type of headlights would be listed in your build sheet, if you do not have that you can get it for free from gm customer service thru online chat on the gm website during normal eastern time business hours.
and yes e85 is totally optional, we don't even have it around here where I live not anywhere close enough to even try it out

Wes, that Silvy is looking better and better every day!

OP
OP
M

mnjeepmale

Reaction score

Thanks for the suggestion. I got the build sheet and it does have HID headlights. So I may just stick with HID just replace the bulb to more 6000K bulb. I replaced the bulb on my Lexus from 4000K to a Philips 6000K bulb and very happy with those. What bulbs do most people go with on the forum?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I got the build sheet and it does have HID headlights. So I may just stick with HID just replace the bulb to more 6000K bulb. I replaced the bulb on my Lexus from 4000K to a Philips 6000K bulb and very happy with those. What bulbs do most people go with on the forum?
too many choices out there but I usually just get bulbs off of ebay, you just need to figure which bulb model it uses, I'm guessing d3s, my 18 silverado takes a d5s and the options for it are limited, the d3s is much more common though

OP
OP
M

mnjeepmale

Reaction score
Looks like I figured out the issue with my blind spot detection.

The right side is working just the driver / left side works 50% of the time.
I looked under the rear bumper last night and found both sensors on each side. Looks like the issue with the drivers side is it's not fully touching the bumper. The top part is not attached to the bumper only the bottom is still holding onto the the bumper. I can pushing it up to touch the bumper. So it's not fully secure. The top plastic piece detached from the bumper.

So I'll have to find some epoxy solution to attach the top back to the bumper.

Do I need to recalibrate this? I couldn't find any link when searching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157