2015 Denali vs 2016 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

AZ18D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The key to AFM survival is 5K miles or less oil changes. I bought my 2018 Yukon Denali Ultimate used with 50K miles for $50K on a 1 owner 4 months ago.
I test drove 4 Yukon Denali’s today, all 2015, and they all felt like complete crap. I’m contrast I drove a 2015 escalate esv and it was a completely different driving experience. No shaking idling and smooth gear shifts. Only problem with the escalate is the suspension, which at 85k miles I’m sure it needs to be worked on. I remain painfully undecided

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purchase an extended warranty, drive it and enjoy. If you like the Caddy and the way it drives then that is what I would purchase. Any vehicle can have problems, get a Carfax and see if any repairs were done. Keep it serviced and you should be fine. Good luck and hopefully you find the vehicle that is right for your wife. Another member just turned over 300,00 miles.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I owned a 2016 Tahoe LT and the suspension was terrible. I leased it for 4 years and put over 40k miles. I would get the Denali or the LTZ with the mag ride suspension.

OP
OP
A

AZ18D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Purchase an extended warranty, drive it and enjoy. If you like the Caddy and the way it drives then that is what I would purchase. Any vehicle can have problems, get a Carfax and see if any repairs were done. Keep it serviced and you should be fine. Good luck and hopefully you find the vehicle that is right for your wife. Another member just turned over 300,00 miles.
Thank you!

OP
OP
A

AZ18D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I owned a 2016 Tahoe LT and the suspension was terrible. I leased it for 4 years and put over 40k miles. I would get the Denali or the LTZ with the mag ride suspension.
Wife totaled her suburban LTZ last week in a flood. 2016 with 45k miles. Still butt hurt about it

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 16 is no better than a 15. Pass on both and buy at least an 18 with the 6.2 and 10 speed.

I would recommend this as well, but with a budget of $40K you can get into an '18 Denali with the 6.2 and 10 speed but it'll have 90-125K miles on it.

The 8 speed isn't terrible as long as you stay on top of the fluid changes and follow the "severe service" schedule. The '15 Escalade you drove most likely had the 8 speed in it. When buying used it really just comes down to how well was the vehicle maintained, were good fluids used, etc.

dpollak81

Reaction score
I test drove 4 Yukon Denali’s today, all 2015, and they all felt like complete crap. I’m contrast I drove a 2015 escalate esv and it was a completely different driving experience. No shaking idling and smooth gear shifts. Only problem with the escalate is the suspension, which at 85k miles I’m sure it needs to be worked on. I remain painfully undecided

That’s disappointing but we had a similar experience. We looked at quite a few when we were shopping and many of them had been ridden hard an put away wet.

There is a chance that the Escalade might have been better maintained and it shows. I would check the service history as if it hasn’t already, you are definitely looking at replacing all the shocks and struts soon. Also if it’s the ESV and the others are all shorter versions, the long wheelbase definitely rides better.

I would just pick your best option and make sure to pick up the warranty… I never buy them and our Denali is the first car I wished we did buy one

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend this as well, but with a budget of $40K you can get into an '18 Denali with the 6.2 and 10 speed but it'll have 90-125K miles on it.

The 8 speed isn't terrible as long as you stay on top of the fluid changes and follow the "severe service" schedule. The '15 Escalade you drove most likely had the 8 speed in it. When buying used it really just comes down to how well was the vehicle maintained, were good fluids used, etc.

I would take a 10 speed with 100k over an 8 speed with 30k every day of the week. The 8 speed sucks. There’s a reason Ford decided they didn’t want to use the 8 speed after it was done but used the 10 speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2