2013 Yukon XL vibrating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dstaggs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone can shed some light on this for me. I have a 2013 Yukon XL 1500 with 203,000 miles. It vibrates when driving and gets worse when braking. It doesn't do it all the time while driving but always when braking. I took it to the dealer and they said it needed new rotors and pads so I replaced both on front and rear. It was great for about 2 weeks and today out of nowhere it started doing the same thing.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone can shed some light on this for me. I have a 2013 Yukon XL 1500 with 203,000 miles. It vibrates when driving and gets worse when braking. It doesn't do it all the time while driving but always when braking. I took it to the dealer and they said it needed new rotors and pads so I replaced both on front and rear. It was great for about 2 weeks and today out of nowhere it started doing the same thing.

Check the end links on your swaybar, the bushings may have fallen out. Does the truck pull to one side or the other? I was thinking calipers. In 2019 we put new rotors and pads on the front. In early '20 I had a caliper hang up and cause that vibration on the way home, it was one piston on the front. Took everything apart, cleaned, greased and all was well for several more months and then that same one locked up and nearly melted the rotor. So then I had to do it all over again but also rebuilt the calipers myself, front and rear, easy peasy and she stops great again.

OP
OP
D

dstaggs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll check the end links on the sway bars. No, it doesn't pull to either side just shakes. I thought about the calipers as well but was sure how to check for that. It's weird, I just got back from a short drive after letting it sit for about 2 hours and no problems at all.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problems James mentioned happened to me too. I put on new pads and rotors and the issue came back. Even when I added new calipers a guide pin got stuck so I had to do the same thing. Have you looked closely at your tires, suspension, and steering components? Do you feel the brake pedal pulsing when it vibrates? ABS?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you notice a difference with the brakes or hubs when they're either hot or cold, the metal in the calipers might be expanding and causing a piston to bind when they get warm. You could also check the hub temps and compare them by feel or by an infrared gun, see if there is much of a difference.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calipers are sticking, replace them and the brake hoses.
+1. And when they stick/drag they heat up and warp the rotors. Doesn't take much caliper drag to get that effect, but I'll bet if you check your rotors with a laser-dot thermometer after a short highway drive, at least one will be very hot.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your hubs may be worn out. Any slight imbalance will get exaggerated with a bad hub. At your mileage that is probable. As stated above i would put a laser thermometer on each part to make sure nothing is dragging or hung up. If so start with new brake lines. The old ones narrow like an old guys artery and dont flow back correctly. I would also road force balance your tires. But the fact that it is present just driving and worse braking can be the hubs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyC