2013 Tahoe Seems Sluggish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FelinaWI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had my 2013 Tahoe LTZ for just over a year and it just always feels sluggish when you start going from a stop. You really have to press down on the accelerator to get going. Is this normal?... is there something I need to do so it's more responsive when you step on the gas? It just feels like you almost have to floor it to really get going - which does not seem right.

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks in advance!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Several things can cause this sensation. Dragging brakes, especially in areas of the country where there is salt on the roads and rust/corrosion build up at caliper slide areas. Elevate the axles and have everything in neutral and see how easy the tires spin, especially from side to side.

You may have clogged exhaust/catalytic converters. Have the back pressure checked on them.

How old are the tune related components? Air filter clogged drastically?

Fuel pressure lower than spec? Type and quality of fuel used and is there dirt in the tank that is causing a flow problem?

Transmission problems? What does the transmission look like and last time filter changed and serviced.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my 2013 Tahoe LTZ for just over a year and it just always feels sluggish when you start going from a stop. You really have to press down on the accelerator to get going. Is this normal?... is there something I need to do so it's more responsive when you step on the gas? It just feels like you almost have to floor it to really get going - which does not seem right.

Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks in advance!

Maybe, I bet you have 3.08 gears (GU4). 3.42s (GU6) or 3.73s (GT4) are the towing gears and have more giddy-up!

Check your RPO sheet in the glovebox. Well, your Tahoe will have either of the first two, not the 3.73s from the factory.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Maybe, I bet you have 3.08 gears (GU4). 3.42s (GU6) or 3.73s (GT4) are the towing gears and have more giddy-up!

Check your RPO sheet in the glovebox. Well, your Tahoe will have either of the first two, not the 3.73s from the factory.
Good catch @swathdiver. I did not see that he said in just over the year he has owned that he "always" felt the sluggishness. Those high gears feel like crap for power.

OP
OP
F

FelinaWI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Hi thank you for writing. What am I looking for? I do see a label with a bunch of numbers and in the 5th column - 4 down I see a GU6 - really not sure what this means or what can be done if anything.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi thank you for writing. What am I looking for? I do see a label with a bunch of numbers and in the 5th column - 4 down I see a GU6 - really not sure what this means or what can be done if anything.
That's the GM code for 3.42 gears. Same ratio that I (and most others) have and it's plenty responsive and quick.

As others have said, we don't have enough information to help you diagnose this as there can be many reasons for what you're experiencing, and all will have different nuances and related symptoms/behaviors.

When you take your foot off the accelerator to coast, does it glide easily or slow down rapidly?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's it, that's your gear ratio, 3.42s. Like Dave mentioned, they should give you plenty of get up and go. So now we need to know a little more, like what kind of tires do you have? Do you keep a lot of stuff in the truck weighing it down? How many miles are on the engine now?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I loved the 3.73 gears in my 2002 but am completely happy with the 3.42's in my 2005 and it DOES have plenty of go go. Sounds like you have some other problem or feeling that makes it feel sluggish, to you. So, again, answers to my list of questions? Also, what did you drive before you got this rig? What engine and gear ratio was in that rig?

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Yukon (3.42s) felt sluggish compared to my Armada, which had less power/more torque & 3.36 final drive. A lot more sluggish.

Getting that BlackBear tune really woke it up between the improved throttle response and transmission reprogramming.

The problem with the 6spd is that it wants to aggressively upshift (emisions?) so there was always a pause in acceleration, or me having to preemptively doubletap the throttle pedal to trick it into downshifting.

I eventually just drove everywhere in manual mode, and shifted with the buttons. (that's how I learned about how manual mode/5th gear would turn off the DoD also)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10