2012 yukon link puddle lights to dome lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a aftermarket alarm system and it does not light the puddle lights when unlocking with the aftermarket key fob.
so I want to tie the puddle lights to the dome lights since it does light the dome lights when unlocking

searched all over and found no definitive answer on which wire/s or where

found that it can be done rather easily on the 2014+ by linking two gray wires at the bcm

does anyone have a definitive answer? or have done the same thing

just trying to avoid having to take more things apart than necessary to figure it out

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder why they do not come on when the door unlocks? Each puddle light is powered from that door's switch.

Each puddle light's wires are both Orange and White.

The wire leaving each door switch to the computer data lines is Dark Green.

The wire leaving the passenger side door switch to the BCM is Dark Blue and White and can be found at the right instrument panel junction block under the dash on the right.

The wire leaving the driver's side door switch to the BCM is Light Blue and White and can be found at the left instrument panel junction block under the dash on the left.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the drivers door panel off today to replace the inside door handle and I read that the puddle light wire was either blue, blue/white, or orange white. I tried all 3 with a 9v battery just to see if I could get the puddle light to come on but didn't have any luck (maybe 9v wasn't enough) and I don't really want to start taping wires until I can identify it for sure.
the aftermarket alarm kind of bypasses the bcm so it doesn't turn the puddle lights on and I have read before that the puddle lights are controlled thru the drivers door switch and that they would have to be patched in after the door switch panel, but if they can be tied in from the box under the dash or at the bcm that would make things easier. I just don't want to start putting 12v to random wires and risk screwing something up.

to me it doesn't make sense that you could just link 2 wires together on a 2014+ at the bcm and have it work but supposedly you can't on the 2012

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I poked around the web a little more supposedly I can just run a wire from the dome light power to the orange/white wire (on the white connector) and it should work, I will pull the switch panel back off tomorrow and do some more testing, if that works then hopefully I can feed a wire thru the boot in the door jam without having to pull the door panel off

Reaction score
Maybe when you tested with the 9v, the bulb is just burnt out?

Just remember, If you attach it to the dome wire, it'll come on whenever the dome is turned on

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon XL Denali
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe when you tested with the 9v, the bulb is just burnt out?

Just remember, If you attach it to the dome wire, it'll come on whenever the dome is turned on

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon XL Denali
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
the bulb light shouldn't be out i'm thinking I just didn't have a good ground point when I was testing it yesterday, but i'm going to find out later today, have to get kids to school and get some work done first.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
When you hooked up the 9v battery to the puddle light where was it grounded???

I assume you hooked one wire to the + and the other to the - of the 9v battery.

Also if I'm not mistaken the BCM just switches the ground side in order to turn things on and off.

If that is the case then the puddle lights should have power all the time and the BCM just connects it to ground to complete the circuit when those lights are called for.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, so derrrr there is (2) orange/white wires on the white connector, the one on the corner pin is negative, the one on the center pin is positive (as it is supplied from the door switch) I wanted to be sure to get it right so it wouldn't be shorting out if the OEM fob is used
running out of daylight today, I'll have to pull both the door panels to run wire sometime this weekend

IMG_20181214_162405.jpg IMG_20181214_162334.jpg