2012 Yukon Denali XL Mystery Rear Braking while Accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duchess

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mystery problem with my 2012 Yukon Denali XL 103k miles - Symptoms have changed daily in the course of a week. The first symptom was a sensation that the back tires were locking up while driving and a loud noise only lasting a moment. This happened several times. Then there were a few instances of RPM revving with a loud hooting sound for a quick moment. Next, it started making a clunk sound when moving from reverse to drive. Finally, yesterday when leaving a parking lot it suddenly slammed on its brakes while I was driving. It happened continuously and I had to have it towed to a buddy's shop. There are no codes. He determined the rear is braking intermittently while the vehicle is accelerating. He does not suspect differential as the rear wheels turn with ease when he manipulates them. Any ideas?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like some digging in to the ABS system is needed. Especially, if you live in a salt on the roads area, check all grounds. There is soooo many threads about ground problems on these rigs causing some very crazy things to happen.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

If you have a bi-directional scanner, you can check the operation of the ABS system to see if the issue is there.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. I would pull the ABS fuses, or disconnect the control module harness and go back to basic brakes. Test drive and see how it acts.

Does it rain a lot where you are at? I've seen the rear parking brake shoes swell and make a howling sound sometimes, or if they don't get used enough and the shoes get sort of hung up when used. Probably not the issue, but they can make a similar noise to what you described.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an update. It was transmission. pan was full of metal. said it was trying to shift into two gears at once causing lock up of rear tires.
Thanks for following up. Did they say what the root cause of the failure was? Was it the torque converter failing sending debris through the rest of the transmission, by chance?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT