2012 Tahoe/Growing/humming noise then fan kicks on after starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TeIam25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Helio, new here. I have a 2012 Chevy Tahoe and lately upon starting it after sitting for long periods (overnight or while at work) I'll hear a growing/humming sound from the front two times, then a few seconds later the cooling fan will kick on. Fan will stay on most of the drive, will stop at times but kicks back on until I turn my Tahoe off. Any idea what the noise is coming from and why the fan would kick on? I've also had three fan luck on after starting it but the growing/ humming noise wasn't there after starting it. Feel like my temp sensor is bad causing the fan to kick on super early, but the noise and fan combined have me puzzled and concerned. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Helio, new here. I have a 2012 Chevy Tahoe and lately upon starting it after sitting for long periods (overnight or while at work) I'll hear a growing/humming sound from the front two times, then a few seconds later the cooling fan will kick on. Fan will stay on most of the drive, will stop at times but kicks back on until I turn my Tahoe off. Any idea what the noise is coming from and why the fan would kick on? I've also had three fan luck on after starting it but the growing/ humming noise wasn't there after starting it. Feel like my temp sensor is bad causing the fan to kick on super early, but the noise and fan combined have me puzzled and concerned. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Is this the HVAC fan or the engine cooling fan? It's not clear from your post. How many miles on the truck? Any chance of snagging a video of what you're experiencing?

OP
OP
T

TeIam25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My apologizes, it's the engine cooling fan. I tried getting a video this morning but the mix didn't pick up the sound. I'll try again after work and move outside the vehicle to hopefully pick up the sound. As well it has 131,5000 miles.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My apologizes, it's the engine cooling fan. I tried getting a video this morning but the mix didn't pick up the sound. I'll try again after work and move outside the vehicle to hopefully pick up the sound. As well it has 131,5000 miles.
A Tech 2 scanner would let you see what's commanded vs what's happening with fan speeds, as well as what the coolant sensor is reading.

RedInCo

Reaction score
FYI, I have a 2010 Denali (6.2L, 6 speed) and I asked GM online support about conditions when the cooling fans run on high. On my vehicle, there are four things that can trigger it: coolant temp, engine oil temp, tranny fluid temp, and air conditioner compressor pressure. So I guess four different sensors that can go bad.

Mssv12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you have the recall done? Cooling fan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GinoTahoe