2011 Tahoe LTZ/Evil Spirit Episode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sundancer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone ! Yesterday, while driving my 2011 Tahoe LTZ which we purchased new and keep up with maintenance regularly, became completely controlled by an evil spirit of some sort for about 10 seconds while driving at about 30 mph in the daylight. The entire instrument panel lit up with every warning, bell and whistle possible. The power door locks began to go up and down by themselves and it appeared to just have a mind of its own. I immediately pulled over to the shoulder as I was at the airport dropping someone off and put it in Park. Th truck never shut off and it just went away as fast as it came. I got out of the truck and inspected the outside undercarriage and engine bay with nothing visible.

I then dropped off at the terminal and proceeded home at about 40 mph with no signs of any malfunction for about 25 minutes. I have had no issues with this truck at a current 117K and we just got back from a 750 mile round trip ski trip last week with no issues at all. It started and I used it all afternoon and turned it on this morning as usual with no issues.

Does anyone have a clue or should I take it to the dealer as I am mechanically challenged but enjoy reading all of everyone's upgrades and adventures here.

Thank You in Advance !

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone ! Yesterday, while driving my 2011 Tahoe LTZ which we purchased new and keep up with maintenance regularly, became completely controlled by an evil spirit of some sort for about 10 seconds while driving at about 30 mph in the daylight. The entire instrument panel lit up with every warning, bell and whistle possible. The power door locks began to go up and down by themselves and it appeared to just have a mind of its own. I immediately pulled over to the shoulder as I was at the airport dropping someone off and put it in Park. Th truck never shut off and it just went away as fast as it came. I got out of the truck and inspected the outside undercarriage and engine bay with nothing visible.

I then dropped off at the terminal and proceeded home at about 40 mph with no signs of any malfunction for about 25 minutes. I have had no issues with this truck at a current 117K and we just got back from a 750 mile round trip ski trip last week with no issues at all. It started and I used it all afternoon and turned it on this morning as usual with no issues.

Does anyone have a clue or should I take it to the dealer as I am mechanically challenged but enjoy reading all of everyone's upgrades and adventures here.

Thank You in Advance !
Classic symptoms of a bad ground, weak battery, or a battery cable with internal corrosion. I would start by cleaning the battery terminals and ground points closest to the battery, and go from there. How old is your battery, and is it an AGM battery?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thank You in Advance !

I'm with @Geotrash in hypothesis and diagnostics.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thank You in Advance !

How old is the battery?

OP
OP
Sundancer

Sundancer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Battery is about 4 years old, just before I drove to Lake Placid 2 weeks ago, I had it checked and it was at 680 from original 720.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery is about 4 years old, just before I drove to Lake Placid 2 weeks ago, I had it checked and it was at 680 from original 720.
Internally, the computer calculates the Previous State of Charge and Start Up State of Charge and the State of Charge. It also uses a formula to calculate the temperature of the battery and uses this data to determine its health. My previous battery never gave in indication of being too weak to start the engine since the minimum spec is 600 CCA, but if the state of charge gets below 64%, it's time for a new one.

My last battery was an inexpensive ACDelco with a 30 month free replacement warranty that went 48 months. Some batteries can last much longer in northern climates but 4 years is about the limit for a Florida car with our modern charging systems, it was half that previously, generally speaking of course.

You can check your cables for corrosion and grounds and if they check out, such is usually the battery.

OP
OP
Sundancer

Sundancer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Internally, the computer calculates the Previous State of Charge and Start Up State of Charge and the State of Charge. It also uses a formula to calculate the temperature of the battery and uses this data to determine its health. My previous battery never gave in indication of being too weak to start the engine since the minimum spec is 600 CCA, but if the state of charge gets below 64%, it's time for a new one.

My last battery was an inexpensive ACDelco with a 30 month free replacement warranty that went 48 months. Some batteries can last much longer in northern climates but 4 years is about the limit for a Florida car with our modern charging systems, it was half that previously, generally speaking of course.

You can check your cables for corrosion and grounds and if they check out, such is usually the battery.
Thank you, last 2 days it’s been in the lower teens weather wise but tomorrow it will be in the 40’s and so I will check the cables but based on everyone’s remarks here, I think I am just going to replace the battery. I can’t handle an episode like the last. when I think about it, I swear I thought my son had pulled a prank on me especially with my door locks going up and down non stop :)
I will look tonight and see what they have, maybe someone will suggest one

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I drove through a mud puddle (clay) and i started having issues shortly after.
Dash going crazy, engine stalling, hvac resetting, etc.

Hosing down each body ground from under the truck, and issue resolved!
I did a cleanup of each ground shortly after, and i still have plans to do more.

I plan on redoing the crimps for each connector, + improving the battery grounding to engine, body, and frame.

that said,
For me, 5 years is my max for a battery.
I learned years ago, cheaper/less headache to just replace the battery.
Especially if you're starting to hear it slow down when cranking. ;)

4 years is close enough that I might consider just changing the battery if it's in question.
Costco has some of the best prices I have seen on car batteries.
Second would be Walmart.

I replaced my wife's battery early this year for something around $85 @ Costco.
and it's a funky battery.

Prices might have gone up.
(Like everything else).

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, last 2 days it’s been in the lower teens weather wise but tomorrow it will be in the 40’s and so I will check the cables but based on everyone’s remarks here, I think I am just going to replace the battery. I can’t handle an episode like the last. when I think about it, I swear I thought my son had pulled a prank on me especially with my door locks going up and down non stop :)
It’s probably a good idea to replace the battery as a maintenance item at that age. Good luck.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold weather as you know sucks the juice out of those things, when mine was nearing the end, temps in the 30s here in Florida nearly did it in!

I put an ACDelco 48HPG in mine. GM also recommends the 48PG and 48PS, the latter was my original battery. Our charging systems were not designed for AGM batteries, they'll work just fine in our trucks, just won't last as long as they might have if the system was adapted for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts